Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over heating still.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:56 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
paragraphs are for people with time
Wow, I can't believe you said that. Since it wasn't a seperate paragraph, maybe nobody else caught it??

Paragraphs are for people who talk without stringing all of their thoughts together in one long, nonsensical blurb. They also help other people (those people who are TRYING to help you out) to understand your problem better.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
As for air bleeding, I'm going to give you a far different procedure in one respect: The bleed screw is the LAST thing you should close.

[...]

Closing the bleed screw before the fluid runs clear out the bleed screw hole means there WILL be air in the system. Any other method WILL NOT clear all the air from the system.
I understand your criticism here, and I must admit I thought that closing the bleed screw at that stage was premature. So just as a reality check, I've always opened the bleed screw at the end of the procedure "just to make sure". Always a steady stream, never any bubbles!

I can't really explain why; I've really haven't looked into it why it works as well as it does. It seems that the air that is still in the system when the bleed screw is first closed finds its way to the expansion tank to escape before it can get trapped where the bleed screw would be help.

Counter-intuitive, I agree, but facts are stubborn things. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually tried this method and found that it doesn't work as described.

-Mark
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark -

I'm a firm believer in whatever works!

Matt -

Now now. I caught it too. I must admit that it takes me a long time to craft my responses. I proof read them many times because I hate spelling (I'm a mediocre speller) and grammar errors, and I've never been able to make this Rennlist spell-check work (???). It matters to me. I like writing well. It is a satisfying and stimulating challenge. I feel it conveys my intelligence and gives my posts gravity and weight.

Some people do not see things that way. Writing is just an unconscious means to an end, not an end in and of itself. I'm with you on this, but I guess there are worse things, eh?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I guess there are worse things, eh?
Yeah, you're right. It just gets under my skin when someone snaps at people who are making constructive comments that will actually help them to communicate their technical problems. It's one of those "don't bite the hand that fees you" things.

It's all good... the original comment probably wasn't intended to express the feeling that I'm giving it... who knows. It's all good
Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt Kenny was snapping at you, I really think that was a joking comment. If anyone bases my intelligence on spelling and grammar, I'm a moron. I just try to get the message across the best I can, please use any recognisable info to your advantage. I normally only post when I know what I'm talking about or I don't post.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yeah i said it as a joke. i have to wait til thursday or friday to test all of this, because i work all day, and the car is across town. ill try everything i can and let everyone know what happens.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok, i went to work on my car today after work....BUT I FORGOT MY KEYS. im going to heeead back doen after working on my girlfriends car, and im going to try everyone's advice. first, i want to ask: can i substitute a meat thermometer as the candy/coolant thermometer? are the readings basically the same range? i already have one that i dont use for food anyway. and also, the replacement cap that i bought says 16lbs. on the package. the 2 different types for the application were both 16 lbs. does the excess pressure from this cap bleed out of the cooling system? or does the system "top out" at 7 or whatever? am i safe?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenny, see if AutoZone will lend you an IR thermometer and take some baseline temps. There is more than one problem here.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i wanted to note a post i didnt read well enough earlier from ken d, asked if the fans are flowing the right way....they are in fact "pulling" the air from the front to the back......but if my hood wqs open, and the fans were "pushing" towards the radiator, wouldnt it still cool it? chris what is an IR thermometer?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
[...] and im going to try everyone's advice.
Probably the most important advice you have here is to put some minimal effort into making your posts easier to read -- sentences, punctutation, paragraphs, and so on. Sad you don't take it seriously. Good luck with your problem.

-Mark
Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

an IR thermometer is something you point at the surface at it will tell you exactly what the temp is-
Dan P has one and it showed a 10 degree difference in my upper vs lower rad hose iindicating my water pump wasnt being efficient (worn veins in the impeller) - so it got replaced.

Matt & Mark, Kenny is a good egg- cut some slack. He was frustrated at the onset.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paragraphs save people time because they make ideas easier to understand.

Like Luis said, buy a new rad and your problems will go away. I've done it with two cars and seen instant results both times.

They're the best deal there is for our cars.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Make sure your coolant system can hold adequate pressure.THEN Backflush the Rad and make sure any foreign material is gone. reinstall rad and re test.

Kenny- let me know if I can help further, Columbus is not that far for me.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Are the fans rotating in the proper direction? Should be counterclockwise when looking forward.
This is a very good observation.

I once had my 83 overheating because someone had put one of the fans in backwards.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok.
hello rennlist, sorry for the delay. i had to wiat for my girlfriend to get done with work, so i was unable to work on it last night.
i will see today if autozone has the thermometer and the pressure tester, and i will flush the system accordingly. before doing all of this, i will see what i can do to get the bubbles and air out of the system.
hopefully i will be bringing it home tonight.
the fans were not removed(left on fan frame/shroud), and the plugs only go in one way right? so polarity couldnt be reversed to reverse the fans.
sorry if i have offended anyone with my poor use of paragraphs, or lack of. i was merely saving space. if you do a search on my posts, you will see i tend to go a little long on the explanations.

Quick Reply: over heating still.