Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help - someone w/ test light/voltmeter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 12:10 PM
schumi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - someone w/ test light/voltmeter

I am trying to troubleshoot something that I think is causing car to have intermitent stall/won't restart due to lack of ignition.

Could someone please do the following - with ignition in on position (car not running), use a test light or voltmeter to check for power on the green wire (which I think is for the coil or ignition) in the 9 pin plastic electrical connector that is right above the brake master cylinder. When I do this w/ test light, I get a very dim light (with voltmeter, it is around 11 volts). I need to know if this is normal - I suspect not, that it is supposed to be 12 volts (which will light up the test light brightly). Also, with the car running, when I check this same wire for power, it will stall the car. I suspect that isn't normal either. Can someone tell me exactly what this wire is, and where it connects on the coil and/or grounds? I suspect this is a crappy connection somewhere (I can get car to restart by jiggling wires or something w/o doing anything) but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Thanks much for any help.

Quick Reply: Need help - someone w/ test light/voltmeter