Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the data to go with this picture

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Strike-Force
Why would the use D90's on the front but PD's on the rear?
The car is a test mule. The airbags came out in 87 along with the new offset.

Since they are testing frontal impact i bet the front is a "new" 87 951 and the rear is a plain old 86 944.

The next question is, what motor is under that hood?

Remember the Fiat X 1/9? That car was half the size of a 944 and possibly stronger than a 944. it too was designed to meet the enacted/abandoned safety standards the US had in the 70s. If the tinworm hasn't eaten one, a X 1/9 is remarkably strong.

I forgot about those standards. Thanks Luis for opening up a long dormant file of useless info waaaaay in the back of my brain.

Next question - what would those abandoned standards of the 70sa equal in todays standards? Are they equal to the 85 standards, 90. 95 etc?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
MoonBoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal_news
AndyK -> 55 to 0, u kidding, those maglev roller coaster do just about that. I think its well within our tolerances. I remember watching something on the discovery channel where some guy (dumbass, no pun) strapped himself to the front of a rocket attached to a railway track to do this type of test. they accelerated him to some absured speed and abruptly stopped the rocket, it stopped so fast, muscle and tenton was torn from his face, i belive he was temporarily blind for some time, but he survived. I bet he didnt even get paid for it.

patrat -> seriouly man, Ild think wolverine would bust outta that picture if i looked hard enough. actually, looks kinda cool. nice sideburns
Actually, those rocket sled tests were invaluable from a testing standpoint. A lot of good things came from them, although I don't think John Stapp ever had his muscles and tendons ripped off his face, and he did volunteer for the sled duty, which I'm sure he got his normal pay for. This is a neat website about the testing in the '40s and '50s. The term "Murphy's Law" actually came from these tests, and yes there really was a Murphy! Capt. Ed Murphy Jr. was the commanding officer, and although the original menaing of Murphy's Law has changed a little it's still very true when in effect.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by Geo
Isn't that Rock's car?
I spit water all over the place on that comment! Thank God I wasn't facing my laptop!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:22 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick comment on the roof buckling some have mentioned. Seeings how it's an 'action' shot, that buckling could relax when the moment is over.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by AndyK
The car might survive, but can a person go from 55 to zero and live?
I go from 55-0 all the time. From even faster speeds too. Care to rephrase?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

In yo metro? Cause, fur-real dawg, that's pimpin.

(I couldn't resist)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Crackhead944S
Pro

Anyone know what the red clock in the picture represents? Fractions of a second? You might be able to get out your high school physics book and calculate the forces. The front collapsed what 1 to 2 feet, so the forces were fifty-five to zero in x fractions of a second in 1 to 2 feet.

Although the 1 to 2 feet does make a huge difference in the amount of forces. So you would have to do a better estimate than that, plus has the car come to a complete stop? Has it finished crumpling giving you those extra so precious inches.

Anyway someone might be able to do a rough calculation on the actual forces. Come on I know that there are some math/physics majors out there. In the past I have read here enough talk of co-efficient of friction on tires that was WAY over my head. Not that that is hard to do.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97xray
In yo metro? Cause, fur-real dawg, that's pimpin.

(I couldn't resist)
Well.... it takes a JATO rocket to get up to speed.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the data to go with this picture