Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running Fuzion tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
This is timely for me as well. My Yoko ES-100s are bald. They blow goats. And I'm a hard core Yoko man. This is the first time they have let me down. Two sets totally toast in 12k miles each. I've been pondering. I think y'all have talked me into them.

And the es100s were high on my list as well.....Only recently have I heard about the short tread life on the yokos..
Old 02-25-2005, 12:09 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

If you are really sold on the Fuzions you might want to check out prices through your Firestone dealer. Tell them the Tirerack price and see what they will do for you. I got mine special wheel fee mounted, balanced, full road hazard, and tax for $405 out the door. For 275 & 245 40-17 that's hard to beat with any performance tire. A set of 245-45/16 for my Q45 came to $344. At that price you can auto-X them.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I can find someone to take care of me if I decide on the Fuzions.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo

Yes I know what you mean, I even got a new 'special deal' card from the Firestone dealer good for my next tire purchase. The way the Yokos are going I'll need to by Summer.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:33 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo

Do tell?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of Greaseslingers...
Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt must be on vacation or something

hmm.. i was going to get RE750's but now I'm thinking hell, why not just get the Fuzions..

now if only my local Firestone place wasnt so sleazy... hmm...
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are a knock off of Bridgestone which highlights the trend in street tires to go to a softer sidewall with aggressive wet/dry footprint cross engineered with new compounds giving great stiction with elongated treadwear limits. The softer sidewall is great for the street and doesn't have a problem maximizing the 7-8% slip angle that make all tires usable. It takes same getting accustomed to if you are coming from haevy and stiff S03's, but the benefit is the compounds don't get greasy like T1-S's until they are superheated. A great street tire, but not designed for track induced temps. Just $.02.
They are not knock off Bridgestone's. They are designed and manufactured by the Bridgestone Corporation in Japan. They are not targeted to compete with the Michelin Pilot Sport or S-03, that is a different segment of the market. They are very good against like competition, which includes things like ES100, Kumho, Toyo, Falken, Nitto, etc. I would not Auto-X on them, I think they heat up to quickly for auto-x, and they werent designed for it. I do know some folks with track time on theirs and they all seem to like them.

I used to work in a Bridgestone/Firestone manufacturing plant in Aiken, SC.
This is one of the finest tire manufacturing facilities in the US. However, just so there is no confusion (not that it matters) the Fuzion ZRi is manufactured in Japan, not in the United States.

Does anyone know what the max size these tires come in?
Yep, sure do, either PM me a rim size or post it here.

Only thing is, has anyone tried them in the snow?
Like all UHP tires they suck. Seriously, if you get snow why dont you have a set of real winter tires?

fuzion has a new "all seaon" tire which is significantly cheaper than the zri
No, the tire that is launching March 1 is the Fuzion HRi. It is a directional H rated tire. It is not designed to be an "all season ZRi" but rather as a nice H rated option for more "mass market" vehicles. As to price point, I cant give you specifics but it will be cheaper than the ZRi. The ZRi and the HRi do not compete with each other. They are totally different products.

Matt must be on vacation or something
If you call arguing with manufacturing over how many tires to make until 2009 a vacation then by all means, come on over!

Sorry, I have been in Nashville meeting with the manufacturing group, it is that time of year. Budgeting and long term planning. Next month product planning. Anyone got a size tire they really need but cant get?

I will answer whatever questions you guys have. Tires are my business.

Last edited by Matt H; 02-26-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
It is late and I dont have a lot of time but nearly everything in this post is wrong in some way.
Thanks for the enlightened reponse.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 PM
peterr
Advanced

Has anyone seen quality control issues with these tires? I was in the market for Summer tires in the first weeks the Fuzions were available in Canada and was seriously considering them vs Toyo T1-S Proxes and Yoko ES-100. My previous set of summer tires were Kumho 712 that had worn very unevenly.

My tire dealer said he had returned 7 sets of Fuzions in the first few weeks they got them, His summary was a well designed tire but no quality control. It could just be a sales pitch, but these guys are volume dealers and they never seem to try and upsell. I am sure he made more from selling me the Toyos, but probably not much more on the Kumhos vs the Fuzions. If he was pushing anything it was the Yokos because the Toyos really were a different price category.

Anyhow, anyone see quality problems with the Fuzions? If so was this an early supply issue since resolved?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Re-animator
Racer

I have had mine for six months via Tirerack and they are the same high quality as my last 10 sets via the same vendor of varying brands.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

My tire dealer said he had returned 7 sets of Fuzions in the first few weeks they got them,
I want the name of your tire dealer please and the person that you spoke to if you have it. You werent per chance at a Kal Tire, were you?

His summary was a well designed tire but no quality control.
He is FOS and just plain wrong, but I still want to know who he is!

Anyhow, anyone see quality problems with the Fuzions? If so was this an early supply issue since resolved?
There is no quality control issue, early or late. One major change since the Firestone recall is that tires, in general, are much more scrutinized now than they ever were before. The industry failure rate from manufacturing issues is so incredibly low (in the case of UHP, I believe it is less than .4 tires per 1 million produced!) that 99.6% of people will never experience a true tire failure. For record, loads of people experience tire failures from other sources (road hazard, underinflation, overinflation, improper tire repairs, etC).

The early warning systems in place allow all manufacturers to catch any quality issues within days, for the most part. Manufacturers are also not afraid to recall tires even if they *think* there is an issue. For instance, Gruppe Michelin just recalled a number of BFG truck tires because they dont have the 2MM tread wear indicators on them. Would that ever cause a tire to fail? No, but some moron might drive to the belts and say, well I didnt know you couldnt do that.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Inspired by this thread, I just ordered a set for my AMG and get to ditch the crappy OEM ContiSports. Under $100 per tire; life is good.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Re-animator, I also edited my first response, if the spirit of fairness. BTW, love the C32. If I could just find an E55 I might be willing to go the Merc route myself.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
Re-animator, I also edited my first response, if the spirit of fairness. BTW, love the C32. If I could just find an E55 I might be willing to go the Merc route myself.
I got rid of mine 2 months ago. The acceleration was fantastic, but too heavy to toss around. Had a chipped RS6 for awhile as well, liked it better than the stock E55 AMG, but it still drove a little too large. Can't seem to be satisfied with anything over 4,000 pounds these days no matter how much HP it puts out.

Last edited by Re-animator; 02-26-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Who's running Fuzion tires?