Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gage fixed, now (!) and oil light flicker.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gage fixed, now (!) and oil light flicker.

Today I changed the sensor. It now reads changes in the oil pressure correctly BUT now the (!) light and the light at the bottom of the oil pressure gage flicker. What's up with that?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the connections at the sender are good and tight. One wire is for the guage, the other is for the "idiot lights".

When I changed my oil pressure relief valve, I had the wires disconnected from the sending unit, and when I put them back on, I broke one of the connectors off in the sending unit, when the wire was loose, the (!) light would flicker, and the oil pressure light would flicker.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...my airbag and (!) lights are flickering...but I didn't remove or change any gauges. Is there a wire that goes from the airbag computer to the idiot lights that could have fallen out??
Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, the (!) light is a sort of main caution light. It is there to draw your attention to whatever other light/problems exists.

I am not sure what could cause the airbag light to be on. There should only be a couple of simple things. There should be some sort of sensor at the front of the vehicle that is supposed to register a frontal impact, if the wiring to that sensor is bad it could cause the airbag light to come on. Also there is some sort of wiring connection between the steering wheel and steering column for the airbag itself. I know that in some Chrysler vehicles, the airbag light will be on when this circutry is interrupted, so maybe try looking at that. Whatever you do, first find out how to disable the airbag so that you do not accidentaly deploy it while you are working on it.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If my lights were ONE all the time, I would feel better. But mine are flickering, as if there was a short or something.
I'm gonna try disconnecting the 7-pin connector from the airbag computer, and see if maybe it got loose or something.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Will check the connections.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Having a flickering air bag light isn't a real confidence builder while driving is it? This was happening on my 95 Miata just before the car was recalled for spontaneous deployment 'issues'. I agree with Kevin, until you find the source of the problem I would disable them.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gage fixed, now (!) and oil light flicker.