Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Clutch - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Chase72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Clutch - Need Help!

Hey Guys:

Could NOT drive the Porsche today--the Clutch went to the floor and stayed there!!! I have no idea what happened, considering I drove it just the day before.

Here's a dumb question: is the 944 S2's clutch hydraulic or a cable line?

The car would start, but I could not put it into gear. The clutch just went "thunk" to the floor. I can lift it back up with a lot of effort, but when pressed again, it just goes straight to the floor. I do have brake pressure (they work fine).

Would appreciate advise! Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 PM
rads2
Instructor

The cluch is hydraulic, and my guess is that you need to change clutch master or slave cylinder.
Look for any leaks in the foot well near the pedals. If it leaks there it's the master cylinder.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the temp in BeanTown? That is what probably did in your hydraulic seals overnight. Truckers from the South have a big problem when they make a fast run up into cold country.

As Rad said, it is the master or slave, usually the slave. May as well replace them both and be done with it. For the master it helps if you have some small 1/4" drives and U-joint as it is sort of tight getting in there. Can be done with a 3/8" drive but keep young kids away as you will probably swear a blue streak.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Chase72
Racer

ICE & Rads, thanks for the advice... I happened to need to go out of town this week on business when this happened... (isn't this always the case)? Temp is COLD in Beantown (9 degrees F).

If I'm unable to DIY (wich is most likely the case), does this mean a tow to the shop?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:11 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Chase72, send me a PM if you need help, I am in the process of installing a new clutch, and putting in new slave and master cylinders... I have the tools to do it. www.vertex auto has the best price on the master cylinder, paragon has a rebuild kit for the slave...... I work at the airport (jetblue) and live is Shirley MA.

Dan, (iceshark) did you ever get that overheat problem fixed that we worked?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944_S_TYPE
Dan, (iceshark) did you ever get that overheat problem fixed that we worked?

Oh, yeah, but it was a nightmare of problems that took a while to fix. I have all new senseors.

What are you doing up in Boston? Get transferred?

Chase, Yup you will probably have to tow it unless you can get it rolling and know how to double clutch. Even then it is pretty hard. I lost the slave when I went up to my brother's place in MN up from ChiTown in my 931 one ThanksGiving when it dropped to 17 below zero F. Of course no places were even open to get a new slave. It was a pretty hair raising experience driving the 400 miles back home when it came to toll booths and stop lighjts.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=IceShark]Oh, yeah, but it was a nightmare of problems that took a while to fix. I have all new senseors.

What are you doing up in Boston? Get transferred?

Yup I am a mechanic for jetblue airways now, They dont fly to minneapolis yet, But I hope we will soon.

Hows the weather in minneapolis? do you have the 951 in for the winter?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I don't drive it when it is snow or the last of the wet as I'm afraid of the salt. The car is in such good shape I just let it sit in the garage and use the truck.

MPLS weather this winter is really strange. Global warming, I guess. Almost no snow on the ground and pretty warm. Nothing like it was when I grew up as a kid. Though we did just get 8" of snow today.

I heard JetBlue was a pretty good company. Keep those contraptions flying right!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Chase72
Racer

944 & Ice: thanks for your help.

944: PM for you! If I can get through this, maybe there is hope that I'll be able to install Ice's light cannons!

;-)
Old 02-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Definately the clutch master/slave. Boston got mine, too.

I ended up bleeding the system and the problem went magically away until I sold the car--after I bought the new slave.

You may want to give a bleed a shot...if it still leaks...might get you to your mecahnic. Speaking of which, a guy named Larry has a shop called European Performance Engineering in Framingham on Rt 27. Knows his stuff, lotta 911 race cars and 356s in his garage. Found the link.

Somewhere along the lines I did a bleeding write up.

Boston is murder on cars. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

And when I say Larry, I actually mean Jerry Pellegrino.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:52 PM
zoxx2004
Instructor

I had similiar proplem when I first bought my 944S,I got knew clutch etc.etc.The proplem wasthe pin that holds the throw out bearing arm was grooved and grease was dried hard.Porsche changed the grease they use.Anyway I would pull that shaft out and inspect that first.
My peddle would go down and had to pull it up with my toe tip.worse when cold!!! hope this helps!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Chase72
Racer

Tremelune: thanks for your help! And yes, I have been to EPE and know Jerry. They did the engine reseal for me recently when I had to get my oil pan gasket replaced... it was a sobering welcome to P-car ownership. Boston weather stinks for cars!

I'll check out your link. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Chase72
Racer

zoxx: thanks for the tip. Will have to take a look at the shaft to check the lube and all.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chase72
zoxx: thanks for the tip. Will have to take a look at the shaft to check the lube and all.
That clutch fork pin can be a real nightmare to remove so better do a search and read up on the problems encountered. Some guys have really screwed things up taking a haphazard approach on removal. The issue is clearance is so tight between the bore holes machined in the aluminum bellhousing and the steel pin that it gets corroded in place.

That said, I doubt the pin is the problem. I'm sure it will be the slave or master.

Quick Reply: Stuck Clutch - Need Help!