Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project 949 early fab work with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005 | 07:33 PM
Doug85.5944na
Instructor

Andy you rule!
Old 02-20-2005 | 07:55 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

If it werent for Andy, my car would be in cardboard boxes ready to ship to the Rennlisters
Old 02-20-2005 | 08:36 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

Rock...u need to box up the front fenders and turbo nose on the yellow car and ship them to me.....better yet I'll just come up to Circuit City and pick them up....OK?

-Jason
Old 02-20-2005 | 08:41 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Is the smaller turbo going to be shut off from the flow as the bigger turbo spools up? The reason I ask is because how else are you going to avoid over-spooling the little turbo?
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:08 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'll try to cover some stuff, then i have more pics and way better than the previous. The primary will spool, when it gets into it's efficiency range or slightly before the secondary will actuate, both will carry to red. By design the VNT has 12 airfoil like fins that direct flow with a variable A/R. When it gets to max they actually create backpressure to limit turbine speed and thus overboost. This will in turn feed the secondary harder. The system is desinged with a standard wastegate to control both turbos maximum boost by bleeding pre-turbo exhaust pressure. I've pretty carefully thought out all scenarios I can think of under driving, racing, cruising, idleing and anything in between. I'm still finding minor things that will need to be adressed and more will arise in initial runs andd tuning. That's the fun of R&D, lol. I hope it works out, time for today's pics!
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:14 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

pics...
Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:18 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

a few more...
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:23 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Jason, today at the hooters right across circuit city, there was a yellow car that looked exactly like my car. I mean DEAD ON.

I thought somebody was messing with my head at first. It even had the same "944" panel on the back. I went inside and talked to the owner and he said it had been wrecked 3 times. IT was exactly like my car, same year, same color, same wheels, except no turbo nose. Scary!
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:30 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok, the details, I'm doing a center exit manifold going upward to get a nice split to the primary and secondary turbos, I'm trying to keep the split equal and it looks good so far. The crossover pipe will go over the bellhousing and have the wastegate on it behind the intake manifold or there abouts. The wastgate will dump back to the exit side of the K-26.

One note, the VNT T-25 has a T-3 coldside wheel and will flow enough to support 250hp. The VNT is a variable A/R, for building boost the vanes are closed and it directs all flow to the very end of the scroll of the housing. As boost comes up they open progressively to help with flow untill they are fully open to create backpressure and regulates boost due to this. In my system the boost will back up to the secondary turbo to help it carry along to red without waisting any driving pressure untill the wastegate opens.
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:37 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Hmm. If my calculations are correct, the G-44 speed of the vector trajectory entering the focal point of the angle times 12 would cause the turbo to spool in fact, backward! Therefore we must eliminate the bearings that fuel the defibulator. A backward spool, colliding with a forward spool, will cause a tornado in the Engine. Thus sending you back in time to the cars original production date. This would cause a flux in the magnetic time, seeing as there would be 431,435 made instead of 431,434. As an added effect, the weather would change drastically due to the fabric of the universe being torn during the turbo-chronoshift. Think before you mess with time my friend, for all of us will suffer for your thirst for boost.
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:43 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rock
Hmm. If my calculations are correct, the G-44 speed of the vector trajectory entering the focal point of the angle times 12 would cause the turbo to spool in fact, backward! Therefore we must eliminate the bearings that fuel the defibulator. A backward spool, colliding with a forward spool, will cause a tornado in the Engine. Thus sending you back in time to the cars original production date. This would cause a flux in the magnetic time, seeing as there would be 431,435 made instead of 431,434. As an added effect, the weather would change drastically due to the fabric of the universe being torn during the turbo-chronoshift. Think before you mess with time my friend, for all of us will suffer for your thirst for boost.
Don't forget you might just have to throw a couple more banana peels into the flux capacitor before testing.

On a more serious note, Andy, what you are doing is going to be legendary when it's finished. I'm totally awestruck by your knowlege!
Old 02-20-2005 | 11:49 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

WELL I have come up with a sequintial turbo setup all my own. Heres how it works.

When you start the car up, here is what happens.

The electric current operates the motor. The motor is attached to the fan, which has angled blades (like an airplane propeller).

As the fan blades turn, they force air forward, toward the exhaust port

When air particles are driven forward, the density of particles (and therefore the air pressure) increases in front of the fan and decreases behind the fan.
This pressure drop behind the fan is just like the pressure drop in the straw when you sip from your drink. The pressure level in the area behind the fan drops below the pressure level outside the car (the ambient air pressure). This creates suction, a partial vacuum, inside the car. The ambient air pushes itself into the engine through the intake port because the air pressure inside the turbo is lower than the pressure outside.

Here is my diagram of the project so far
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2005 | 12:11 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice Rock, Nice. You get yours done and we'll see who sucks more air, lol.

So far I've been successful in the swap to turbo, boosting an 8HP briggs and a riding mower, I'll try my hand at a slightly larger scale now. I see the major problem being that I know little to nothing about standalone or piggybacks, I'm sure they will be a little easier to figure out when I have one to play with and see how it works. I'm more hands on than I am about computers, I'll have to get something in may hands to figure things out. Hell, I learned everything I know without scholl, I'm sure I'll learn the workings of standalone too.
Old 02-21-2005 | 12:14 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

School is for people who want to learn. I dont, I already know my fair share, and it looks like Andy does too
Old 02-21-2005 | 12:25 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I finally realized that I knew alot when I realized that I don't know more. From there I began to learn.

Quick Reply: project 949 early fab work with pics