Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSSSSSStuttering MMMMMMotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Dangerous Dan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSSSSSStuttering MMMMMMotor

It's cold here in Wisconsin! The temp this A.M. was 0. I don't know if that has anything to do with my motor problem. As the car crests a hill and the motor transitions form accelerating to coasting, it stutters like it is running out of gas. This is occurring around 2,200 RPM. It also occurred a couple of times under gentle acceleration on the level. I haven't had enough driving time yet to figure out how to make it happen other than cresting hills. Anybody have a similar problem? Do you think it's related to cold weather? My mechanic thought it might be a stuck deceleration valve.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:18 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Does go right away once you get to the top of the hill? Sounds kinda like what my car does, except it ONLY does it BEFORE the engine is warmed up. After that it runs like a champ.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
elf89
Pro

Hi Dan,

Where do you live in Wisconsin? I'm in Pewaukee, but my car is sleeping for the winter.

I had some weird engine stuttering last summer, and fixed it by replacing the spark plug wires. It's a hefty investment for the ones with the beru ends ($140) and I convinced myself they needed replacing by misting water over them in the dark and watching for sparks.

The other things folks mentioned when I posted about it were a dirty air fuel meter, bad spark plugs or coil. I started with the wires because I knew I needed them anyway and did the spark plugs too. Seemed to fix it. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look under your distributer cap?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Dangerous Dan
Intermediate

Elf - I live in West Salem, near La Crosse. I just bought the car two weeks ago. '84, 944.

The plug wires and rotor were installed last spring by the previous owner. On the way home from work tonite, it stuttered and jerked as I was going up a steep hill in third gear. I also got it to do it on the level by feathering the throttle; in other words moving at a constant speed (30 mph) and then gently push the pedal down about an 1/8 th inch. When I put it down hard, there is no hesitation. It's just that "neutral" area between cruising/coasting and acceleration.

I also noticed a sound under the hood that I hadn't heard before. I had the hood open at home to put some power steering fluind in (leaking hoses) and there was a sound from near the manifold that sounded like some kind of valve thumping as it opened and closed. The frequency was about three or four times per second at idle. That's the other thing that's different. The idle is now about 1,000 - 1,100. Last week it was 900.

Gawd I love German cars!!

Quick Reply: SSSSSSStuttering MMMMMMotor