Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Challenging cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Challenging cruise control question

I am diagnosing intermittant (mostly not working) cruise control on the 951. I got a replacement ECM and went to transplant it into the car tonight when I noticed another problem - one of the wiring harnesses had come apart. This is good and bad. The good is that it means the ECM in the car may be okay. The bad is that the wires are now all over the place and I have no idea as to the correct order.

On the later (85.5+) cars, the cruise control ECMs have two "plugs" or harnesses with two rows of four female receptacles each on them. These plug into corresponding male "pins" on the ECM itself and are secured by a metal latch. The two plugs differ in that one of them has seven female receptacles with the eighth blocked off and the other has all eight receptacles with wires going to them. In my case, it is the latter plug (the one with all eight receptacles / wires) that came apart.

The good news is that all the wires and the corresponding receptacles soldered to them are intact, they only came out of the plastic piece that holds them organized and in the proper order. I have the plastic socket in front of me - it is part #009.545.16.28 and its cover is part #009.545.17.28 The holes where each of the wires / receptacles go are numbered one through eight. The wires are each colored differently and I just need to know which color wire goes to each socket (i.e. the blue one goes to #1, the green one goes to #2, etc. . .)

Here are the wire colors (in random order, kind of like they are now):
- red w/ black stripe
- red w/ white stripe
- brown w/ yellow stripe
- brown
- yellow
- grey
- blue
- brown w/ grey stripe

Anyone who could check and post the correct order of these wires within the plastic harness piece would have my undying thanks and be entitled to a free beer on me anytime.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Bump. Someone? Anyone?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff,
When I get home from work I will try and help, it will be a couple of hours. I also need a couple of questions answered on mine about voltage and if you have a volt meter maybe you could give me a couple of readings.
Charlie
Old 02-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Absolutely. I can probably spend a little time on it tonight. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff,
This is what I have
Pin 1 Red/Black
Pin 2 Red/White
Pin 3 Brown/Yellow
Pin 4 Pale Blue
Pin 5 Bright Blue
Pin 6 Yellow
Pin 7 Brown/White
Pin 8 Brown

The pale blue could be a grey, but looks blue to me.
I could not see a stripe on the bright blue, I believe it was solid. I hope this will help. I wonder if my 86 could have some different color wires.

If you have time with the switch in the on position, unplug the plug out at the servo. Check the number 1 and 5 pins and see if you have 12 volts on each.
My problem is when I press the accelerator pedal the servo unit tries to run. It starts making a loud noise.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wiruing diagram in the service manual says that Charlie got it right, except that the pale blue wire is really grey. This is what the manual shows:

Pin 1 Red/Black
Pin 2 Red/White
Pin 3 Brown/Yellow
Pin 4 Grey
Pin 5 Blue
Pin 6 Yellow
Pin 7 Brown/White
Pin 8 Brown

Old 02-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member