Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not another wheel spacer question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:27 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not another wheel spacer question...

I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm trying to fit 21mm Weltmeister turbo star spacers to the front of my '86, and I've read that I have to bevel the inside. I took dimensions of the wheel hub using calipers and discovered that I'd be machining away much of the material from the inside of the spacer. Specifically, at the angle I measured, I would be reducing the hub centering lip on the spacer from its current 6mm thinkness down to about 3mm. For a spacer made of aluminum, this seems a bit thin to me. Has anyone else done this with turbo star spacers? Advice?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

This probably won't help but....

If you can return them, H&R spacers already have the bevel machined out. It's a little more mass but I don't think you would really notice the difference. IMHO
I don't think I would trust the star spacers machined out.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need that much of a bevel. You DO NOT bore out the inner hole all the way out with constant diameter. Only in such a case will you interfere with the centering ring on the outside.

What you can do is mark them first. So on the inside surface, mark a ring about 10mm larger in diameter than the hole. Then mark the inside of the bore. Go out from the inside edge about 15mm towards the outside. The outside of the spacer is completely untouched. I can draw a picture if it makes more sense. The idea is to match the shape of the hub bearing cone.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:24 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

A picture would be much appreciated; thanks for your help. I wasn't planning to bore with a constant diameter, but rather I calculated that I needed to bore with about a 9 degree angle (boring from back to front, narrowing by 9 degrees). Hopefully your picture will shed some light on the matter...or else I measured really wrong.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:52 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

bump?

Quick Reply: Not another wheel spacer question...