Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 AM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softest Ride

I know most people look for a firmer ride but with the # of potholes/road conditions for my area I am wondering what shock would give me a cushier ride yet having some what of a firmness value? Also I am not a suspension person would some one give me a run down of what can be done to an early suspension/ what would be needed for the front and back. If I am not mistaken I know the early front shocks can be replaced with out new struts but correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48 AM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robby -

I just put Koni Yellows on all 4 corners of my 83. (Couldn't have done it w/o some help, thanks again Chris) However, the ride is nice and comfortable around town and handles the corners amazingly.
Plus, they are adjustable, so if you want a firmer ride for a short time, it's just a turn of a know on the front.

Also, the front struts are inserts, so you don't have to replace all the hardware. The Konis go on this car w/o any modification to anything.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:50 AM
RobbyK
Pro

Where did u buy them/price once again I know almost everything about this car but i have never been much of a suspension buff ?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 AM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got them at Paragon Products. The total cost for all four corners was around $650. That included the shocks/struts as well as the bump rubber, dust covers, and new strut bushings. You should also replace your balljoints ($16 each from Paragon) and your front Control Arm Bushings ($3.50 each) "while you're in there"
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

get stiffer suspension so you can swerve AROUND the potholes
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, go faster and fly over them.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I wouldn't call Koni Yellows is soft! At their "softest" setting, they are still more firm than stock. They are BETTER, but not cushy by any means!

Maybe the Koni Reds would be better in a pothole rich environment?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Can some one give me a run down of what is needed to really freshin up the early cars suspension, and what options I have.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

To completley overhaul your suspension (assuming everything is shot).

Front end.
Wishbones (A arms) : Replace the bushes & the ball joints.
Struts : Replace the damper inserts, the springs, the bump stops & the top mounts.
Hubs : Bearings
Anti roll bar/sway bar : replace the bushes
Steering rack : Replace the tie rods (of course the rack may need replacing too !).

Rear end
Trailing arms: Bushes again.
Hubs: bearings again.
Torsion bars: Bushes can wear
Dampers : replace
Anti roll bar/sway bar: yup you guesses it check those bushes !

Have I missed anything ?

As a starting point I would recomend just getting new OE dampers/shock absorbers (the standard boge units are pretty good) and maybe look at the front wishbones as new ball joints and bushes will sharpen up the handling of the car.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Thanks for the run down though most of those parts have been replaced by the prior owner just the shocks need some help. How can I tell if the whole strut is gone or the insert just needs too be freshened up ? Also does any one know if the early cars with the "SPORT" Option have anything different too look out for when getting new shocks ?
Old 02-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

Does the front end sort of hop up and down in an uncontrolled manner, after you've hit a bump/pot hole at speed ?

There is always the old push down on the front fender and then count how many times it bobs back up again, any more than twice is bad news. Leakage on these cars is a bit hard to spot as the oil gets trapped between the damper and the inside of the strut.

Not sure what the sport option entails on an early car. If its the same as option MO30 then expect koni dampers, stiffer springs and thicker anti roll bars.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:27 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Im confused does that show if the whole strut is gone or the sturt cartridge ? Can some one with and early car tell me what they did when they found things were getting a little worn.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That tells that the strut cartridge is gone. What you need to do is just to pick up some struts from paragon products. If you want a stiff ride, go with koni yellows, for a medium ride koni reds, and for a soft ride go with Boge or KYB.

Early cars just had the rear konis and sway bars as a part of the sports option. The front shocks are Boge. If I were you I would not shell out the money on Koni yellows unless you are looking to autocross/track, or you like your street driving spirited. Reds or Boge's are the way to go. Not sure about Bilsteins...

Quick Reply: Softest Ride