Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL LINE FITTING GB feeler........

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the poor pic I need to CUT as shown a replace the section cut out going to the damper and replace w the exact piece off a spare line.

How do I connect the 2 rubber line together at the CUT mark in green and black?

TIA!

Better pic of where the cut is going. I am replacing the portion removed w the same from another OE line>??
Attached Images   

Last edited by dgz924s; 02-28-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: better pic
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geez you guys are way over thinking this one (and paying too much). The fittings to adapt to the hard lines should cost you no more then $25 with tax for all 6 peices and less then 90 for the entire AN line set-up. You can find them locally but you have to think out of the box for a moment.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:26 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy, how about something with the fitting types, sizes, and sources???
Old 03-01-2005, 12:33 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Dal,
The fittings will replace the fuel line crimps at the bottom of the first photo, better still is to install the new fittings down in the wheel well.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
They flair nicely but require a double flair because they are seamed steel. The harbor freight flaring tool will do double flairs. Do a search and read up about flaring fuel lines. You will find its quite a bit easier than you would think.
You could also hit up Bruce and see if he would be up for modifying a batch of H.F. flaring tools. Maybe even put together a tutorial with where to buy what.
I did this last year with mine. I bought a really nice replacement hose from a guy back east (a Porsche tuning place that I cannot remember the name of). I paid $39 for the hose and it was a factory style rubber hose, with the proper metric full crimped on connector on the damper end (exactly like stock) and a flare fitting on the other end. Put a 45 degree double flare on the hard line in the wheelwell, it went together beautifully. Hardest part was finding a metric double flaring tool (found a matco on ebay).

I'll post contact info of the place back east when I look it up for anyone that is interested. It was the best $39 I ever spent for the 951.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:38 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I knew I'd find it. Here is the link. Great product. I have no affiliation - just a really satisfied customer. Looks like the price is now "under $60".

http://www.autosportengineering.com/fuel_hose.htm
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Excellent info Brad, thanks. I remember seeing a track car at one of the local shops where an electrical fire started near the headlight motor and ran down the pass side of the motor, the owner swears that the extra fire resistance of the braided lines gave him enough time to get the car off the track and the fire put out. I'm sold. I sprung for Holly's dbl braided Perform-o-flex hose and reuseable 37deg ends, it's about as much bling as I can stand.

I have found some Eaton DIN compression adapters to 37deg male flare, p/n's M14x1.5 and M16x1.5, now just waiting for price/availability.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:02 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Great guys thanks. Why cut the OE flare off? Can't it remain and replace the fitting? Or is it a different flare on the hard line?

Last edited by dgz924s; 03-01-2005 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

On the hard line, the OE does not have a flare, it has a bulged end over which the OE line has a fully crimped connector. It is very difficult to replace such a crimp ourselves as it requires a crimping machine. You could slip a hose over the end and use a hose clamp but this is not recommended (see other posts) due to high pressure in the line. Thus, the preferred approach is to cut the bulged end off the hard line and use either a compression sleeve fitting or flared fitting. Both of these approaches are intended for high pressure (for example, the same compression fitting approach is used in home water plumbing and natural gas lines, both of which are high pressures, and the flared approach is used in the brake lines in all cars, which are under very high pressure).
Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

HERE'S THE DEAL........

FITTINGS HAVE BEEN LOCATED, and are on the shelf. Because they're metric and on the shelf -- I would like to lock this deal in the morning.
Both fittings are female metric 24deg compression to 37deg male flare, in steel. The flare is designed to fit a -6 fitting, and the mfgr is world wide.
8mm - $11.40
10mm - $13.10
I will sit on p/n's until the goods are delivered, and will release the brand name after John or Pete's blessing. Yes, I've already pm'd John.
Time for a show of hands.........
Old 03-02-2005, 05:44 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I believe the route for me to take at this point is to purchase a set of lines from Rennbay/Travis sells. I am at a point where I need to get it running now and I know his lines will solve that.

But pics would be nice just so my little confused brain could have a visual understanding.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
unreal_news
Racer

Sorry to drag out an old post, but I just wanna be straight on this before i proceed. so if anyone can answer my questions, ild greatly appreciate it

* fyi : Im going to use a compression fitting on one end

1) what size compression fitting do i need
2) what is the i.d. of the fuel lines? Does it matter what type i use, or is this ok (link)?
3) Lastly, I just need [ -6 AN ] fitting (x2) right? As shown here (link)

thx,
-sd
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thumbs up

SD, dragging up old posts is fine! It means you are putting the search function to good use.

Try this
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal_news
Sorry to drag out an old post, but I just wanna be straight on this before i proceed. so if anyone can answer my questions, ild greatly appreciate it

* fyi : Im going to use a compression fitting on one end

1) what size compression fitting do i need
2) what is the i.d. of the fuel lines? Does it matter what type i use, or is this ok (link)?
3) Lastly, I just need [ -6 AN ] fitting (x2) right? As shown here (link)

thx,
-sd
Your config may be slightly different, but I listed everything I used in the following thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=fuel+line

Quick Reply: FUEL LINE FITTING GB feeler........