Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure dampner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005 | 10:44 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Question Fuel pressure dampner

I read somewhere that the fuel pressure dampner is to dampen the pressure fluctuations caused by the injectors.
Can a mulfunctioning FPD cause intermittent problems? Can it get clogged, and rerduce the pressure in the output pipe? In any case, how does it work? What should happen upon disconnecting the vacuum line?
By now probably everybody on this board knows my problems with the stalling engine, so I'll refrain from describing the problem here...
Is it OK to remove this FPD completely? Although I'm not sure where to find proper connectors to close the fuel line.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:31 AM
Danno
Race Director

Sure, typically will mess with your fuel-pressure causing too lean or too rich mixtures, which will kill the car. Hard part is diagnosing the problem. You've got to have a fuel-pressure gauge that you can see from inside the car as you're driving. That rules out mechanical gauges, unless you have an isolator in the firewall. Electronic gauges are available, but pricey.

Removing the dampener would probably cause more problems than you have now because you'll get inconsistent fuel-delivery all the time. Most people solve this problem by just swapping their FPR and dampeners.
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:42 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stan944
Can a mulfunctioning FPD cause intermittent problems?
It caused the oil to haver a fuel-like smell whenever i pulled out the oil dipstick......on my car though....
Old 02-07-2005 | 01:01 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
I already have a new fuel pressure regulator. Do you think replacing the fuel pressure dampner should be high on my priority list.
I wish I could get a fuel pressure gauge...
But there is also the fuel pump which might not give me enough pressure. I know it works during no-start condition (I can hear it while cranking), but don't know if the pressure is sufficient.

I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but the engine doesn't die immediately when it happens while driving: it looses most of the power, but it will run rough for at least a minute if I keep coasting in gear (e.g. 3rd) on a flat road. Depressing the gas pedal more makes no difference. As soon as I let off the gas, the engine dies. I don't know if this description helps?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure dampner