Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in big trouble, the S2 may have to be sold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

pete
this may land you in jail, so i dont think i recommend it, but if you really want to get thrown off the jury, just start discussing the case. like if you discuss it in public, you tainted the jury.

again, it will probably land your *** in jail, but it probably will get you off the jury.

so, out of curiosity, what is the case about? what are they arguing over that should take a month? (hey a guy can ask, cant he?)
Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Pete:

Is this a civil case? Did the attorneys pick alternate jurors? Did the attorneys ask you in voir dire whether this would be a financial hardship?

I have NEVER selected a juror that didn't want to hear my case; I'm always afraid they'd find my client guilty just b/c I selected them. Now that you've been selected, it's gonna be hard to get off. How many alternates did they pick for a trial of this duration? The problem here is that (in criminal cases) jeopardy attaches when the jury is sworn. If you go below the minimum number of jurors it's a mistrial. I'm not sure how it works in civil cases. The other problem is that the judge and attorneys are barred from talking to you now that you are sworn in. PM me if you need some help and I'll send you my phone #.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelle to the rescue!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Pete,
I know it's easy for me to say, I'm not in your shoes, but just take it a day at a time.

There are a lot of good suggestions and advice here. And as always, good people here. But it sounds like the plan for tomorrow is for your work to submit proof of not being able to do without you. I would wait and see if that works. I think it will. I was summoned, in Montgomery County back in '92 and my boss did the same, and it got me out. It wasn't Federal Court, but wait and see, it may work. As was mentioned, they hear a lot of excuses and people trying not to serve, so maybe just your verbal protests were not enough to win him over. Written proof may. Give that a chance first.

If not, take what the next day brings, the next, etc. The TV station/media idea, which would be my next recourse given your situation, would shed light on due court processes causing a guy not to be able to support his daughter and causing a business to go under. How long it would take to get action, who knows. But as more days come, if it comes to the worst, I would be willing to chip in with UD and help out as much as I can.

You took a page from the Wade B book once before, and I think it might have worked out for you.
Now turn to page two.............
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Michelle to the rescue!!!
Cool!!! She was writing while I was. Now you'll get the REAL advice.
Good luck, Pete!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, let's look at this another way. Maybe we can give Pete AND his company an assist in another fashion.

Who needs cabinets? I'm in for some new garage wall adornments. How about the rest of you? Anyone need a cabinet or two? I say we make Pete our official "Rennlist Garage Cabinet Supplier".

I just wish this had happened a few weeks ago. We just bought two grand worth of cabinets from Home Depot for the farm house. Would much prefer to have bought "in house" so to speak.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shouldn't this thread be in the OT section?

kidding....!

Anyway, what MichelleJD said isn't a good sign, at least to me, but the fact taht you weren't told you had to serve until 6pm the day before the trial started, I don't think you should be stuck because the trial started. There's no way one afternoon after business hours of teh court house most likely, should be sufficient time for them to lock you in as far as serving jail time and having no way out....

Does any of that make sense Michelle? Is there any kind of procedure that is supposed to be followed for the time line of the whole thing?

(although, if it isn't already maybe it should be xposted somehow in the OT because there are probably a lot more people who are in the know there.... just a thought) -EDITED!! My bad, it is there.. should've looked first...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Michelle, it is a civil case, and a very big one. The question was asked by the judge during the voir dire but I misunderstood his question when he asked it and did not think that he was asking about job related hardships. There was a large pool of potential jurors and after he had gone around the room with that question I never had an opportunity to plead my case.
All of us in the jury have asked if there are alternates and how many but no one will answer that question for us. They selected 10 jurors if that is any help yo you.

Thanks to all for all the concern and the responses here. It means alot to me. It's good to have friends.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Shouldn't this thread be in the OT section?
It is. I copied it there when I started the thread. I figured it had a little 944 content so I put it here too.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:21 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Pete, i have a friend who works with office furnature, design and sales in dayton. if interested i can ask him if they are hiring or what not and can give your contact info to him. pm your number to me, i can have him give you a call or in touch with people. cant garuntee anything but its a shot
Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt sound like a good outcome for you, I'm afraid you are in for the long haul.

Now- How can we help you Pete? I dont need cabinets, but I'll ask around.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry, I really appreciate that.
PM is on the way shortly.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Jury duty is important but not when it causes bankruptcy. I hope you get out of it. Good Luck.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:29 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Walk into the courtroom tomorrow, sit down in the jury box, clench your chest and proclaim, "I have a bomb." Youll be out of there in no time.

When they ask if there is anything prejudicial about me that would prevent me from coming to an unbiased verdict, I say I dont believe in the jury process altogether. One lawyer asked me why. I told her that if she does a lousy job as a lawyer representing her client and doesnt ask all the questions I want answered, I should have the right to ask them myself otherwise Im in no position to make a lucid judgment on guilt or innocence."
Old 02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, what if you go to the local media and just tell them what is happening? Basically exactly what you've told us; you don't have to give away anything that you aren't allowed to. The court system is supposed to make society better; bankrupting a business and putting a bunch of guys out of work does more bad than this case will do good. AND the case can still go on without you.

Quick Reply: I'm in big trouble, the S2 may have to be sold.