Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944spec vs. spec miata

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
Spec-944s are cheaper
The only way a Spec-944 is cheaper to run than a Spec Miata is if you pay someone way to much money to pull the string on the back of your Miata every 5 laps to keep it going.

Most Spec-Miata racers have friends / family to this, doesn't cost anything.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:50 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
The only way a Spec-944 is cheaper to run than a Spec Miata is if you pay someone way to much money to pull the string on the back of your Miata every 5 laps to keep it going.

Most Spec-Miata racers have friends / family to this, doesn't cost anything.

string on the back....huh?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by penguinking
string on the back....huh?
Some of the older ones are wind-up models. These were dropped for the pull string kind. Mazda played with the "pull back let go" version, decided that wouldn't go over well.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

so you feel that miatas are cheaper to race with?

i was thinking of running a 944 in H(?) or I(?) stock PCA. how do the costs of those classes compare
Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Steve Rea
Advanced

Everyone has given very accurate info on this subject, and quite objective, which is very cool.

I used to race a supercharged miata and loved it. Then I went to a spec-944. My main reason was because I am 6' tall and while I know spec-miata guys run them up to 6'4", I don't like the idea of my noggin sticking above the roll-cage inside the car, with only a fiberglass hard-top between it and the asphalt in the case of a roll-over.

Now, the thought of 40-60 car fields of spec cars sure does sound very exciting!!

I'd suggest trying to get a ride in each and see how you personally like the feel of the two.

Good luck and I think you'll be happy either way.

Steve
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
rsrdan
Racer

Miata's are like moped's.They might be fun to drive,.....just dont let your friends see you in one!!!!!!!!!!!

Building a 944 Cup Car! Web site to follow
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rsrdan
Miata's are like moped's.They might be fun to drive,.....just dont let your friends see you in one!!!!!!!!!!!
Knock on Miatas all you want. But the reality over here is that far more women want rides in that versus the 944!

BB.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by penguinking
so you feel that miatas are cheaper to race with?

i was thinking of running a 944 in H(?) or I(?) stock PCA. how do the costs of those classes compare
For my use? Yes, a Miata would be far cheaper than running a 944 (factor in my 944S and it's not even close).

Anyway, here's why - I looked into picking up a Miata for a track car many times. Thinking it would make a great starter car for Lorelei and a backup car if/when my 928 brakes. Geo makes a very good and accurate point. If you plan on racing in some Miata spec series, and you want to run up front, it won't be cheap. That's a non-issue to me. My goal would be a Miata for a fun DE / autocross car that could also spring-board me into fender to fender racing.

I doubt it would ever happen now, but that was the plan.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
For my use? Yes, a Miata would be far cheaper than running a 944 (factor in my 944S and it's not even close).

Anyway, here's why - I looked into picking up a Miata for a track car many times.
Having one for track use and having one for racing are two very different animals.

Spec Pinatas do a LOT of banging and bumping (like constantly). I have a friend who created a Spec Pinata impailer tow hook because he was getting thumped so much by those guys he had enough (and he's not even racing them for position!).

Also, if you just want to make up the numbers they are probably pretty close price-wise. If you want to run up front in ITS with a 944 you're going to need a wheelbarrow (for the money). But for the Cup and Spec classes or just making up the numbers in IT it's probably about the same.

A lot of people told me building a 944 would be God-awful expensive. Well, other than an absolute top-flight crate motor, the costs are about the same and the Milledge engine would be about 50% more than a Sunbelt engine for our Sentra (or one for a Pinata).
Old 02-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

My biggest concern would be that I am 6 feet tall like steve. I barely fit in my turbo, let alone a spec miata. I am considering 944 scca. I don't even really care that much if I am competitive. I want to do it before I graduate law school, so cheap is good. But, spec miata offers so many racing ops. Too busy now to figure it out anyways. We might buy a prepped car for me anyways and I can just keep it going.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:13 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geo
Having one for track use and having one for racing are two very different animals.
I know, I get caught up in these conversations and don't distinguish between the two. I guess in the big picture if I did go racing it would be with whatever car I did the most DE's in.

So if I really wanted to push the issue (just for the sake of argument) if you start adding up from day one (no car, no experience, nothing) to the drop of the green flag to your first race, the Miata route should be cheaper (learning how to wrench, buying stupid parts you broke due to lack of experience, running lots of 2nd hand parts etc...).

If you start adding from the drop of your first green flag......your 100% on the money.

I know this is not a very realistic way of looking at it, just trying to explain how my sideways mind tends to look at these things. Blowing up my 944S twice before I ever had the chance to run any events, pretty much destroyed any game plan I had anyway.

So now I'm turning my 928 into a track beast (cheaper spare motors and parts vs a 16V 944).
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I think a Spec 944 would be every bit as cheap if not cheaper than a Spec Miata. Yes, Mazda Motorsports makes parts available to Spec Pinata drivers at a great discount, but the 944 8v is cheaper to buy, build, and maintain than a lot of cars. The clutch is expensive relatively speaking AND a PITA, but most stuff really isn't too different from other cars.

I'm not blindly in favor of the 944 nor am I against a Spec Pinata. I just think the Spec Pinatas are not as cheap as they are made out to be unless all you're looking to do is make up the numbers. And even for that, you can do it just as cheaply in a 944 or another car.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:43 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe it would be better to ask people's opinions on the cheapest route to competitive racing. How about opinions on middle of the pack and opinions on front running. I am talking about build/purchase costs and racing expenses (tires, parts, fees).

Are there better options than SM and 944spec?

Max
Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

At one point there was a Rabbit GTI cup, which would give you a competitive spec-car for about $3k, or so they said. Last I heard, it was in California, and I don't even know if it's still around.

BB.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:01 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

SCCA IT-class may be the absolute cheapest way to get on the track and race other people. I know of a Volvo 240 that is solid, needs nothing but the role cage and a brake upgrade. I could get this car for under $500 - have a friend do the roll bar, brake's are cheap and I'm racing.
Would I be at the front? Hell no, I'd be the Menardi team of SCCA. Would I be having fun? Tons. The article in Grassroots about IT had a good quote about this class: "You may not be going that fast, but your having more fun than anybody watching"

Quick Reply: 944spec vs. spec miata