Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944s missfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:10 AM
muso1958
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944s missfire

Hi folks ,
Long time no speak .Before i start ,just came over to US ( where i know a lot of you are ) ,for the first time , drove 2500 miles in 2 weeks in a chevy cavalier I wish id had my baby with me .
did daytona florida atlanta memphis etc etc ,love the place cant wait till next year .Any way im rambling.
I recently finshed a rebuild on a 944s that i bought with half its engine in the trunk .It runs ok with good oil pressure & normal temperature ,but it can be a little difficult to start not seeming to like any throttle at all untill it fires .Also on hard acceleration it missfires ,there is loads of power there once it gets through the missfire.
I have replaced the plugs and checked ht leads etc .I have been told by the last owner who virtually gave me the car (a good friend) that it did'nt missfire before .The job has obviously been difficult as i did'nt strip it down ,so i could have missed something. I had to use diagrams out of the factory manual for the thin piping that runs all over the place ,but i am pretty sure that is Ok .Something that seems to spring to mind is the hall sensor ,I have heard this crop up before on the forums .Would this malfunctioning cause this sort of missfire ?Any other input would be greatly appreciated .
Keep the good work up .Thanks for looking Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had bought my 944S wrecked in the front and after I got it put togetherI test drove it. It ran good at idle but on acceleration it stumbled alot and would catch sometimes and accelerate well. I listened under the hood while it was running and heard a snapping noise. It was the distributor cap. It had a big crack from the accident that I could not see from the outside but was causing the spark to jump on acceleration. I put a new cap on and it ran great. The caps have an outer black coating and the wires push on very far, both things hide cracks very well.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by muso1958
but it can be a little difficult to start not seeming to like any throttle at all untill it fires .Also on hard acceleration it missfires ,there is loads of power there once it gets through the missfire.
Congratulations on the rebuild.

From this it sounds like the misfire is only at a certain RPM, is that correct? If that is the case then perhaps the AFM is dirty and needs cleaning. There is a procedure at Clarks garage and FR Wilk's website.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

congrats on the rebuild. just finished mine and it's got 250 miles on the engine now.

i've got a similar problem with hard starting but it seems to run ok. i'm thinking maybe a bad flywheel sensor? i'm not very good at diagnostics, though.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the DME does not get a signal from the hall sender it will retard timing.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you end up needing some used replacements, I will cut you a good deal.

Quick Reply: 944s missfire