Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh man, 997 Recall...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Sorry for the hijack, but Robby, can you please contribute to my rear speaker thread on the turbo forum, thanks.
No prob..... Hey, when do I ever stay on topic anyway???
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
The recall can be nothing but bad press. I dont know how you can spin the recall as anything but a negative. Had the recall affected a Chrysler Town & Country minivan, we'd all be saying its because Chryslers are a pile of turds.

Ive never been duly impressed with some of Porsche's engineering. For every great design, theres a completely poor design that is nothing but amateur night and absolutely unacceptable for a high-line sports car company. No better example than having your entire odometer/tripmeter going kaplooey on you at times if you decide to reset the tripmeter while the car is in motion. Thats just abysmal. You cannot possibly call it anything else. I love Porsches, but they should be doing much better in terms of fit and finish, reliability, and so forth for such a high premium for a sports car. I hear theyve improved of late. I hope this recall was just a misstep and not an overall indictment.

I would be happy if Porsche just made a sports car. I am a true pureist when It comes to things like traction control, stability control, satnav, cupholders, automatic (paddle, tiptronic) gearboxes, launch control. Sports cars are made to be fun and hard to drive but companys keep taking this away from there cars because they want them to be safe and other crap. The only cars that really intrest me are TVR's right now and some other track day cars. I have never drove a sportscar and been like "Sweet stability control is kicking on keeping me safe" That crap is the first thing I turn off in a car expecially in the snow (Sisters S60) if you are really going to wreck (fast spinout) the traction control/ stability control is overpowered anyways and you still will wreck. I find myself more likely to crash with that crap on then with it off because I am like "opposite lock" and then bam it kicks on and almost pulls my *** into the ditch. Time to get off the soap box..
Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
I wonder if you can come in with a 16 year old car and ask them to do free work on it because of a 15 year old recall..
When I first joined here, I read a lot of people talking about our fuel line recalls. I went to Porsche dealer to ask if my car had the line replaced, since my fuel line in question was hard and needed to be replaced. They denied such a recall ever existed for my car, and said that the '86 was the only 944 with that recall.

BB.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford has just recalled 3 MILLION F-series trucks. The engine bay seem to catch on fire because the CC servo keeps running after the vehicle is shut off. Oh, it's right next to the PS resevoir too. Good design engineering. 2005-2003 Ford Trucks.

Go ahead, Plop down anywhere fom 20-50 grand on a truck..

Better yet, the fix is to DISCONNECT the cruise control. The Recall wont start till FEB 2005, when the dealers get the memo.

The replacement part will be available in the summer, and you get put on a waiting list and get called after the dealer disconnects your Cruise Control when the part is available. Enough replacement parts wont be available for some time, and this recall should be completely fixed in a year and a half..

now THAT'S service.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fishey- I understand just how you feel. That's partly my point when mentioning the 968CS & the way they tried to strip weight. Basically all they did was make it noisier by reducing sound deadening. Something they MAY have needed MORE of, actually. The wiring harness had all the wires in it for every possible option. They had electrically adjustable seats, at least for the driver. They removed the rear seats, but, what they added back, the thick piece of wood, actually weighed more.... They still had electric windows & locks- both can be nice to have, but, being a coupe, wouldn't make much difference. Actually, unless you've installed 1-touch up/down swtiches for both windows, why not just have them both be manual? It would save ~6lbs, &, as slow as our windows roll up & down, manual would be faster, &, w/out 1-touch, you have to keep your hand on the switch anyway. I ended up adding 1-touch, but, only b/c it looked like going to manual windows would be too much of a PITFA, so, I added another 1.5lbs total & now mine are one-touch up/down- unlike most of of the factory BS systems that wont allow windows to roll back up due to "safety."

I DO like traction control & things like that, as long as they can be defeated. ABS too- anyone who wants rid of 944 ABS can just pull the fuse out. Anyway, I need to custom build my own car. Actually, I need to make enough $ to be abelt ot custom buid my own car.........
Old 01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche's quality controll is not what it used to be
That's probably for the best. Let us not forget the mid-year 2.7 911 motor (porsche's #1, all-time lemon), the 944 waterpump, the self-destructing 964 flywheel and distributor, the 911E pneumatic suspension, 911 chain tensioners (various), the exploding airbox, the '86 951 one piece crossover / cracking header mess, various rubber centered clutches, 3.2 carrera valve guides, 911 headstuds (various issues -- all to the tune of "whoops, that'll be $8k+ by the time we're done with the while you're in theres"), and the newest members of the club, the 986/996 RMS and the 993 check engine light debacle. It's a damn good thing that these cars are such a pleasure to drive.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
When I first joined here, I read a lot of people talking about our fuel line recalls. I went to Porsche dealer to ask if my car had the line replaced, since my fuel line in question was hard and needed to be replaced. They denied such a recall ever existed for my car, and said that the '86 was the only 944 with that recall.

BB.
Go back to the dealer and tell them to do their jobs right.
Here is all the proof you need:
http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-content-23627.html
http://www.cantonia.com/944_safety_bulletins.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=recall
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=recall

Here's the letter PCNA mailed to the original owners:
Thank Pat H. for this..
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Meh, I already put on a new one.

BB.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Honestly, what car company isn't going "downhill" these days in the eyes of car enthusiasts? (meaning you and me) With more and more electronic systems, the possibility of mandatory black boxes, ridiculous horsepower but poor brakes and cushy suspensions, what do we as car enthusiasts have left? The 997 is a luxury car first, sports car second. Lotus? Kit cars? 944s, 914s, 924s are getting old.

Just musing.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

KLR- you mentioned the rubber centered clutches, but, not the spring centered- the spring centered ones are just as bad if not worse- the springs come loose w/age & jam up, making it impossible to shift while the car is running. This is ususally LONG before the clutch is actually worn out....

Kurt- I agree the quality is going downhill on newer cars- just like in the computer industry- companies are constantly trying to release things before proper testing is done & quality sucks- everyone wants to be slightly ahead- too bad this is not the case in the drug market.... BUT, from what I've seen, brakes are getting much better- stops from given mph are a lot shorter than they used to be- Porsche's are getting worse- the best I ever remember was early to mid 90's 964- sub 110's from 60mph- Porsches have gotten SO HEAVY.... that's points to your luxury comment- this is too true.... The suspensions of many newer cars are a lot stiffer than any watercooled Porsche ever put out & is more comfortable too- multi-link & MUCH better chassis play the biggest role here... I DETEST the BS electronic system crap though, as well as air bags all over the place- we'll have right & left ******** air bags before long.... Btw- what is a "mandatory black box"? I'm just curious.... If it has something to do w/tracking control, then I'll be pissed.... what's next....? Thought control...? anyway......

Quick Reply: Oh man, 997 Recall...