Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:49 AM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Alpine head unit (#1 in the market) I have infinity Kappa's all around and I have a custom 8" subwoofer that is hidden down in the passenger side wheel cubby..powered by a little Alpine V-power amp......pefect sound....
Old 01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

My cab came with the 10 speaker option (actually there are only 8 in the cab though) so I have MB Quart 5.25" components in the front, and MB quart 4x6 in the back. The head unit is a Kenwood MP3-CD player with 25x4 amp built into it. It sounds good except for the lack of bass response.

I'd like to get a subwoofer but it must be very small since my trunk is shallow and tiny.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Bret 944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hosrom said PICTURES, I've seen NONE ! (Well, adrian's actually, but that's it) Randy, I'd like to see a pic of your 8" enclosure in the cubby. I'll get pics of mine when I finish the install probably today, but I just built a custom box to go where the spare tire was (pulled out that thing) that holds 2 8" subs. And in the fronts I have Alpine 4x6's, they sound great but with no bass and no mids. I have an amp mounted under the glove box for the front speakers, and the amp for the 8" subs is mounted in the left rear cubby. Pics coming in a few days.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will take a picture my subwoofer tonight after I get off work...I bought it off the internet..if you buy the box they automatically give you a rockford fosgate 8" subwoofer with it.
Phil
Old 01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

200 watt MBQuart deck. Perks, i got it for below wholesale from a friend who is the head marketer of all things rockford in AZ!!! woot woot!!! speakers suck though. Need to changes those out. Oh yeah, the deck is waterproof, just in case i ever turn it into a submercible vessel of course!! I wanna drop audiobahn in. 4x6 up front and 6 1/2 in rear, plsu two 8's!! need money...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Here is what I am putting in my '83

http://members.rennlist.com/michaelathome/DSCN0579.JPG

http://members.rennlist.com/michaelathome/DSCN0580.JPG

Boston FX7 4x6 2 ways 12-80watt (quantity 4)
Nakamichi TD-400 (new old stock)
Cerwin Vega Vega 3200 2x80watt (1 for now)

Got this wiring set to take the amp to the back:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tZeJdCX...display=XL#Tab

Looking for a clean/new old stock ADS PQ10 or PQ12 and a Sony RF CD-changer

I will likely put a cabinet in both of the rear cubby holes 1 for the amp changer and the other for an 8in sub, not sure what type yet. Once I get the ADS 4 channel the CV will power the sub at 160watts. That should be enough for the small cabin of the 944. Now to just get them into the car! That was one of this weekends projects while I am waiting on more parts.

I wanted to keep the dash retro and since the speakers are behind grills what does it matter, if I need to I'll make riser plate front or recess mount the speakers in the back to make room.

Michael

Last edited by michaelathome; 01-27-2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
gstein
Instructor

Unfortunately, my car is in MN and i am in GA, so i cant take pictures, but i guarantee if you throw money at the same system, ALL of your sound system needs will be satisfied, maybe:

2 JL 12w3's:
I have these flush-mounted in the rear with a flat plane raising the trunk floor to the height of the speakers (looks great, but this really helps with security) A removable vent gives access to hidden amps.

MB quart components:
two 6" ONE way speakers, with separate tweets,
dont buy coax i have never had any luck with those. I have owned many types including boston two and three ways(these were the best, but not very good still) Some good MB quart components will ring your ears louder than the JL's will bang them

Two Precision Power amps,
one putting 500W to each sub, one putting 100W to each of the components

One Clarion DRZ9255 source unit,
i would normally use separate EQ but this one has worked decently so far with the parametric set up

Some advice you can take or leave:

Don't be conservative when buying wire, i recommend Phoenix Gold

no rear speakers,
these only reduce sound quality, ideally your front speakers would be in kick boxes, this produces the best results for sound quality, i just dont have the time to make some, so i haven't completed my component installation. Tweets work well in stock 10speak system location.

if you dont think the clarity of bass is that important to you, one sub will be more than enough. If your a bass lover, though, the more the merrier as each sub adds to sound quality and reliability

Get a damn good alarm, hidden battery cutoff switch, and a second job to pay for it all.

If i were to do it all over, i think diamond audio would have been the speaker, and amp brand to go with, and a good Nak source unit, my allowance put them out of my range.

Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Old 01-27-2005, 09:18 PM
gstein
Instructor

Oh yeah, high powered head units SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using the high powered amp in your deck will fox everything up,

HEAT=BAD

There is no way to cool an amp within the head unit, heat just builds up back there. Heat will eventually create distortion, which is the diminish of sound quality:

I would never use the line level outputs of ANY deck.

Separate amps are the only way to go, all decent ones have huge heatsinks and air passages with fans to cool them. The nice ones have cooling fluid$

My amps are located one foot apart, with six inches of air between them and their vent.

Most decent source units have 3 or more sets of pre-amps which is the only way to get good sound quality out of a deck IMHO.

Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Old 01-27-2005, 09:24 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=silverBean]200 watt MBQuart deck. [QUOTE]

?? Uhm, all that MB Quart makes are speakers. They don't make any electronics, you didn't get this unit at one of those 'Super Sales' did you?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 PM
boffam
Advanced

Originally Posted by randyvitaha
I have an Alpine head unit (#1 in the market) I have infinity Kappa's all around and I have a custom 8" subwoofer that is hidden down in the passenger side wheel cubby..powered by a little Alpine V-power amp......pefect sound....
That's my dream setup, although I will keep the Pioneer head unit I have in now as I am happy with it.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben you seem in the know! Little help on design please...

Currently I have rockford fosgate 4x6 in the rear and Kenwood 4x6 in the front and some pioneer speakers in the panel in the 10 speaker position... now the good news:

I have the 10 speaker door pockets and speakers panels.
I have a set or 968 rear quarter panels.

What and how can I get the biggest / smartest speaker setup in! I love bass and have none.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:46 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by gstein

Using the high powered amp in your deck will fox everything up,

HEAT=BAD
Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Problem is, most if not all deck "are" high powered ones.
You only have problems when you overdrive the speakers.

in mine I was having clipping probs in summer, so I pulled the ashtray out and fitted some switches and a small mini fan and all works fine see:

http://www.playback.demon.co.uk/pors...s/cabdef10.jpg

but the upgrade to the total system will remedy heat problems anyway

laters
Old 01-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

What's the key for, adrian_jaye?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:54 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by gstein

High powered head units aren't even truly 'high powered'. If you read the fine print, the most I've ever seen is maybe 21wRMS per channel. Hardly the 200+ watts displayed on the deck face. Think about the 200 watt number for a second..... If the deck were truly capable of that, then the deck would require a power circuit capable of 15amps of continuous current, 30amp peak, and that's for a non-existant 100% efficient unit.

MERA and the CEA have finally gotten rules passed that should go into effect with this next generation of car audio equipment. What will be changing is the amount of power 'advertised' by manufacturers. No more of the peak maximum distorted output power displayed. RMS will be what's displayed on all car audio products.

Now if only some regulation were in place on Home Audio equipment.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

I have the factory system upgrade with 10 speakers, amp, and graphic EQ. The graphic EQ and amp is located in the bottom din. It has a factory mount on the door High/mid then the bottom speaker with the lows.

I hear that it's a rare option but I don't know that much about it. Sound is good by 1989 standards but not great but doesn't compare to MB Quarts, JL Audio Sub and a good Alpine head.

Quick Reply: Show me your speakers