Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Drainage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:58 AM
Lali
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Drainage?

Hi, I have got an S2 and I am currently in the throws of retrimming the door panels, I looked last night and I couldnt see any drain holes in the door... which might account for the soggy feel to the old door cards down by the speaker. So do they have drain holes and where are they?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably plugged with dirt/ debris. You should have 2, 1 in the front and one in the back about 6" or so from the door ends (Thats how the 924S is, I'd expect an early door to be the same.) I still have a few small glass chunks in mine from the break-in.

A wet toothbrush from underneath should show them once cleaned off. Then a toothpick can clear them out. If the door card is already off, you can pressure wash the inside with the window up to blast the junk out.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lali
Hi, I have got an S2 and I am currently in the throws of retrimming the door panels, I looked last night and I couldnt see any drain holes in the door... which might account for the soggy feel to the old door cards down by the speaker. So do they have drain holes and where are they?

Lali,

A few things,

The drain holes are at the bottom of the door in like a lip, its not obvious but its there.

The reason for soggy door panels, is that the moisture weather strip has been torn and water (from the window) is getting in past this shield.

There cheap from Porsche and easy to fit, (about £6 sterling)

look at my site, I retrimmed the doors and I have some pictures of what I mean

goto

www.playback.demon.co.uk

then Porsche / Projects / stereo upgrade

HTH
Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a 1cm wide by 2mm high drainage slit at the bottom front inside of each door. It's possible these could be clogged, but I doubt that is why your panels are damp.

All these cars came from the factory with a plastic sheet glued between the door and the door panel. If anyone had taken apart the door panel and not replaced or reglued this plastic sheet to the door, or if the plastic sheet was torn / leaking, it would let water touch the cardboard and make it soggy.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Lali
Intermediate

Cheers for that... I do have the plastic lining but it appears to be "damp" on the doorcard side... the door cards are stained and a bit "limp" not like theyve been totally saturated with water. looks like Im on my back in the garage again tonight!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Lali
Intermediate

Are those weather strips self adhesive?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Lali
Intermediate

Well after an hour of picking out what seemed like half a window i think my doors should drain ok... but what a pain in the RS that was. Still at least the new panals are "quick release"

Quick Reply: Door Drainage?