Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Warning Lights Failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:30 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instrument Warning Lights Failed

I had a wiring melt down before the holidays and I replaced my DME wiring harness. Everything is now working except the warning lights on the instruments. Fuel Low warning, Alternator Low warning, Oil Pressure Low warning, Temperature warning, all of them do not work when the key is in the 2 position. The Central warning light does work.

The wire that shorted was the power steering switch that is unique to the 944S. It melted through to the oil pressure sensor wires and so my oil pressure reading at the instrument is pegged to 5 + bar. I have tested with a potentiometer at the oil sensor wires on the new wiring harness and the signal is reaching the instrument connector. From this I believe the oil indicator motor is toast but I don't understand why the warning indicators are all NFG. I have checked the lights and they are all ok as far as filiments go. I checked both instrument fuses 18 and 38 at the fuse box and they are both ok.

I do want to buy an oil pressure/alternator instrument module if anyone has one to sell.

Anybody seen this problem before?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:13 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anyone searches and finds this, the answer to my problem was the oil pressure sensor. Without oil pressure the sensor provides ground for the instruments for checking the some of the warning lights. Once I replaced the oil sensor my warning lights worked fine.

Quick Reply: Instrument Warning Lights Failed