Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
weizen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior suggestions

Just got my car back after a few months and was prepping it to go in for paint. I decided it was time to strip the interior out and clean it, it was hideous! After I removed everything and saw how bad it was I figured I should shell out a bit more coin and get it replaced, that interior was bad! I won't go into details let's just say that it was my dd in South Dakota for several years and had seen some rough winters! Where is the best place to get interior carpet kits, or can I just buy carpeting and form it easily enough?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 AM
fossil_fuel
Instructor

I recommend www.worlduph.com for all interior needs. Carpet kits, seat kits, and dye all color matched to OEM.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid America Motorworks has carpet kits, don't know their quality but the price looks pretty good. Molded too and a variaty of colors. Listed in thier catalog.

FYI
Bill
Old 01-18-2005, 08:23 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll second World Upholstery. In my sig ihave pics of the seats in my 85.5 944 that I re upholstered with their stuff. It came out perfect.
I'll also add that www.rennbay.com sells very good upholstery kits and Travis' customer service is second to none.

I was thinking about replacing the carpet in the S2 but this Spring I'm gonna borrow a carpet cleaner and steam clean it.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
I'll also add that www.rennbay.com sells very good upholstery kits and Travis' customer service is second to none.
Nationally and internationally -Rennbay service is world class!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
lilredpo
Pro

I used Orignal Fit Interiors 541-459-1700

They advertise in Excellence. Good product, nice fit and holding up well.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
lilredpo
Pro

What color?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM
weizen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies! I'd like to buy carpeting and custom form it (not real sure how feasable this is). I decided the rear seats are out of there for good! They definitely aren't the most practical seats anyhow and no one is ever back there. Now I'm trying to decide how I should reconfigure that space, ideas/suggestions/stuff for sale I have beige interior.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Try searching...There was a posting a few weeks ago about eliminating the rear seat and creating a 'shelf' or something.

You could probably buy carpet at lenght from JC Whitney.

Only thing that you may have to sew... where the rear seats mount is a hump that has compound curves. Otherwise, all other pieces are flat.

Other than that, a good pair of scissors, use the old carpet as a template, save and reuse the backing from the back sides and underneanth and a big can of spray glue (3M), and your in business.

Good luck!

How's your center console arm rest?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:45 PM
ernestedward
Instructor

Not sure if beige = linen, but OFI doesn't have that color...basically all they have is caramel, brown, black and grey. I got chocolate brown, and the fit was OK, but not perfect...lots of cutting. Good price though, $250 shipped. Also the kit didn't include the carpet pieces that go on the side of the center console.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a perfect, tan/beige rear carpet insert, for $90 shipped to you. The wheel curvature molding is for the skinnier non-Vredestein red-rimmed ones, found in the 1989-1994 models. Anyone interested can PM me.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Turtle256
Advanced

Whatever you do please don't try to buy bulk carpet and "mold" it yourself. You will thank me for this bit of advice. Trying to make unmolded carpet fit is the absolute worst experience you could ever have in this lifetime. (Don't ask me how I know this, I will start crying again). Buy molded carpet and go the easy route.

Turtle
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 PM
blackcube
Advanced

I just bought a World Upholstery carpet set on Ebay.

I have another issue. I have also noticed that there are almost none of the brown trim pieces still available from the Porsche dealer. I printed a list from my PET copy and spent some time having a very patient parts guy look up trim (door handle plates, screw caps, seat belt clips, A/C vents.) It was a total waste. It seems that even Porsche has written the 944 off as far as interior trim goes. I also tried to order some of the VW/Audi sourced parts through a VW dealer. No Go.

Since all of the brown stuff seems to be transmuting into unobtainium, I'm going with a brown/black combination. Brown dash, brown console, brown and black door panels, black carpet including the door pockets pieces, the console mat and side pieces and a lot of black trim plastic pieces. World Upholstery is going to custom sew a set of import vinyl seat covers with brown bolsters, sides and backs and black pleats. It will actually look similar to the tan/black combination that comes stock in 2001-02 MB SLK-230 and 320 sport editions. I'm also installing new white gauge faces and a dash kit.

I like the brown too much with the metallic gold paint to dump it completely. Even Porsche didn't supply brown seat belts with the bown interior. I'm just taking it a few steps further.

I'm hoping the total effect isn't too funky.

Quick Reply: Interior suggestions