Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing S2 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing S2 Steering Wheel

Does anyone have any guidenance on removing a S2 steering wheel (w/ airbag) I want to put on a 930 wheel. I heard it adds a ton of HPs.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is a great write up on this site: www.944s2.com
I did the same swap on my car and used this write up as a guide.
It's a very worthwhile swap.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I do not think it is wise to remove the airbag wheel, but it's your car. I wonder if you defeat a saftey feature if you could be liable for injury in a wreck. Whatever you do, make it reversable. They might inspect for them someday as they now do for seatbelts. I worked at an auto parts store back in college and was amazed at how many people came in to buy seatbelts when the state started writing tickets for not having them. I figure someday cops will check the model year of your car and write a ticket for missing airbags in a few years too.

That being said:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-25.htm

-Joel.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Thanks, also found it at Clarks-Garage. I always forget about that site.

Plus, didn't know the battery had to be disconnected for 30 minutes.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I tend to think that the car is safer without the airbags than with 16 year old first generation airbags.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I've never had a 944 (x) with an airbag + I have a racing seat and 5 point harness in the car - IMO better than any airbag. The air bag, once deployed would just get in my way.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete944
I tend to think that the car is safer without the airbags than with 16 year old first generation airbags.

I COMPLETELY agree.... I NEVER felt safe w/that explosive in front of me- partly why I now have a Momo Competition wheel Funny- you can deactivate an airbag if you have a child, but, YOUR safety is illegal to protect... makes no sense. I read a letter in EC years ago- a guy had one of the first GTi's w/airbags- he usually rested his hand on one of the steering wheel spokes. He hit a curb, the bag exploded, & broke several bones in his wrist, forearm, & hand. He had already been through three operations, pins installed, etc, & was planning on another I'm all for someone who wants airbags for themselves, but, don't include me. Around here, many people believe they are the end-all-be-all of car safety- "...I never wear my seatbelt... I have airbags..." Hell, this society is getting so silly & the airbag thing getting so out-of-hand, we'll have right & left ******** airbags before long...

"The air bag, once deployed would just get in my way" - I wonder how many accidents have occurred just b/c of this...? I've always thought about that- I wonder how many times someone has hopped a curb or had a mild collision where they deflected off a car, etc, & then, b/c they could not see b/c of the deployed airbag, ended up in a much worse situation, like head-on or something...?

Quick Reply: Removing S2 Steering Wheel