Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:15 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start woes

This year my S started not wanting to start below about 25' to 30'F above 0.

It just cranks slower than usual and you can hear it hit here and there but not really a chain of them. After having to crank it several itmes it will hit more and more then however slowly start to run then finally accept throttle and rev.

Last year this happened a couple of times and once I had to jump it and I'm thinking I flodded it then. Have a 9 mo. old 850 amp battery now and the last battery wasn't all that old.

The way the FI is set up doesn't it get a shot of gas from the injectors when you turn the key on? And will pumping the pedal while cranking it give the motor more gas?

Any ideas on the cold hard start to look at?

30' and above it just pops right off.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:09 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If memory serves the DME will not fire the injectors/spark plugs until the engine is rotating at 200 RPM.

With this being the case, on very cold days the enigne block and components have contracted significantly, which tends to increase the engine's rotational friction. This is aggrivated by the fact that the viscosity of the engine oil decreases, making the oil thicker and more difficult to pump, which adds to the mechanical load on the starter. Add to this the fact that cranking amps from the battery are reduced by cold temperatures, and you have a cold start problem.

What I would recommend is switching to a lower rated multi-viscosity oil, switching to a battery with more "Cold Cranking Amps," and cleaning and tightening of the battery/alternator connections.

If the weather in your area is extremely cold, you might want to investigate the possibility of installing an electric block heater.

Of course the best option is to park the car in a heated garage.

Quick Reply: Cold start woes