Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnin' Down the House

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:22 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnin' Down the House

Well almost anyways. Lately I've been having random starting issues. So I decided to replace the starter after trying vigorously to just replace the solenoid which doesnt exist. So I go out to test it. Starts up fine, let it run for about 10 minutes to get up to temp. then shut it off and check oil. Go to start it up again and it does the random no start thing again, I try a couple times to no avail, so I get out to charge the battery, or atleast see if it needs it. I notice smoke still coming from the back of the car and think, "oh well its not running" so I go back and get a whiff of it and it smells like burning candy!!! Can't be bad right? Wrong, a quick look underneath and I notice the part of the undercarriage that is the bottom of my rear seat is quite ablaze. I quickly remember my frustrations with the car and decide to let it burn. So I walk off pretending nothing is wrong and hope no one gets hurt and thinking to myself how much property insurance will give me for it. Well it didnt last long, I finally decided my parents would be quite upset if the garage and possibly the rest of the house burns down. So I grab the fire extinguisher and it goes out with ease. Unfortunately the only damage done was a melted brake line, hence the burning candy smell. After quick evaluation and a little clean-up I notice there is NOTHING back there that could have started it. That section has NO components on it at all except this piece of brake line. Nothing electrical, nothing mechanical, just plain ole undercarriage. So I blame it on god trying to help me out a bit, should have listened to him...

What will my sh*tty mystery box bring next? Stay tuned for more!

*X-posted on KCWS.org
Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you probably couldve pushed it out of the garage on fire.. called the fire department after it was well ablaze, then just say you had just pushed it out of the garage, and didnt hav ea fire extinguisher handy..

Oh well, in hindsight it looks easy!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM
StupEd05
Pro

oh yeah, that crossed my mind. In fact when I told my dad the story he suggested the same. Im might give that a try later today. I guess as long as when I push it stays on our property... damn it, maybe I will think faster next time.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

I always tell my neighbors to go take a nap or have a cup of coffee first if they see my house on fire. Then go ahead and call the fire dept.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that. What was Campeck doing over at your house?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Sorry to hear that. What was Campeck doing over at your house?

No kidding. I just renewed my insurance and can't wait for someone to rear end me...slightly, just enough to total it, but still easily repairable...
Old 01-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had that happen to me while I was trying to start the car and the brake line in the back caught on fire. I had stainless steel brake lines and did not have the ground connected properly at the chassis. The starter used the stainless steel line as the ground and the inner lining of the brake line caught fire right near the gas tank. Check your ground to chassis from the body to the engine where the bell housing is at.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a formula racecar do that for a ground as well; someone hadnt hooked up the kill switch properly so it just cut off the ground wire on the engine from the chassis, rather than cutting off the chassis from the battery/alternator. It is quite confusing at first when you see burnmarks on a brakeline.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

A ground issue as pointed out by Lego would also explain your intermittent problems starting the car.

Regards,
Old 01-15-2005, 12:32 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I had that happen to me while I was trying to start the car and the brake line in the back caught on fire. I had stainless steel brake lines and did not have the ground connected properly at the chassis. The starter used the stainless steel line as the ground and the inner lining of the brake line caught fire right near the gas tank. Check your ground to chassis from the body to the engine where the bell housing is at.
You are a genious! That makes a 100% sense to me, the only problem is I have checked and rechecked the ground 100,000 times and it is as tight as it can get. Is the chassis to engine ground supposed to be the only ground on that ground point? i.e. when I put the new engine bay wiring harness I believe the 2 DME grounds went onto that ground as well, so I put the chassis to engine ground down first and the 2 dme grounds on top and bolted it down so the chassis to engine ground has to be making perfect contact.

Is there another chassis to engine ground back on the transmission???

Thanks!

EDIT: I too have stainless steel brake lines by the way.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Aaron, I have an extra Iceshark aux ground cable that I was planning on using on another car. WHy don't you try it and see if it helps. It connects from the Alt to the engine and should eliminate any grounding issues, short (no pun intended) of having a bad cable somewhere.

I am coming out to Lawrence sometime today, should I bring it along?

Regards,
Old 01-15-2005, 01:54 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Sure if you want to swing it by or I can meet you somewhere that would be fine. The rest of the family is helping my brother move out, but I have a bit of a cough so I will be home all day for sure.

Ben did replace the battery to chassis and chassis to bellhousing grounds when it was at ImagineAuto so I cant imagine those would be bad, but if you think it will help I'll give it a try. No hurry though as it isnt goin anywhere till that brake line gets ordered.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:29 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Lego you said:
"did not have the ground connected properly at the chassis."

What do you mean? and just for grins what is the "proper" way, I have it bolted down...
Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Scott: I have to run into KU so I will be in Lawrence from 1:30 - 2:30ish so just call my cell, anytime after that and I will be at home. ttyl
Old 01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One chassis ground from the battery to the bell housing and another from the battery to the chassis a few inches from the battery. You may want to check both to make sure they are grounded properly.

Quick Reply: Burnin' Down the House