Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Also in OT-Career Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005 | 02:02 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Default Also in OT-Career Suggestions?

In the space of 1 week, the new general manager at this dealership has managed to reduce sales 75%, drive out 60% of the staff, and make me consider leaving the store that I have worked at for 4 years. Life around here is not fun right now.

I'm thinking that maybe this is my opportunity to get out of the car business. I love this business, but I get home at 9:30 every night. That's going to suck once my kids get a little older and they're asleep when I get home.

The problem is, I have no degree, and sales is all I know. I could go back to school (and that option is not out) but I'm the only wage earner in my household (my wife is a stay-at-home mom). And, I'm spoiled by how much money I make. I'm willing to take a pay cut, but I made 99k last year, and a 60k pay cut would be hard to swallow.

I always wanted to teach high school physics. Maybe I could work summers to help with the pay.

I'm 23, have 4 years in the automobile retail business after 3 years in the Marines, have a strong resume, good people skills, etc... but no degree or certifications.

Any ideas what I could do?
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:15 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Perhaps another dealership?
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:17 PM
BigRed
Pro

Another sales job...maybe at a Porsche dealer

If you are making 99K and you are the only wage earner in the household, I (as a current teacher) would highly recommend you NOT get into teaching. Pissy parents, lots of hours, low pay...it's not for everyone. I'm teaching because that's just what I do. I HATE the pay and hours (and parents sometimes), but it pays the bills (barely) and I love the subject that I teach. Just my opinion...
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:30 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

I have no doubt that I could go to another store and be successful again--I just don't know if I want to.

It's not even the hours, it's the until 9 at night. I'd work 75 hour weeks if I could work 6-6.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:09 PM
Judson951
Drifting

You could always try ****? Works for me... No I understand right where you are coming from. I am in the car business also. Been here for almsot 3 years 25 years old have a 180k house a new truck and a porsche. Sales is the only thing I know also. School is out for me I hate it. And I am startin to hate the hours here. Money is great though. Good luck to you, let me know what you get into as it might be a field that would work for me also.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:19 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Maybe leverage your automotive background to get into commercial sales. Business-to-business where the hours are more 9-5.

A friend of mine sells/manages warranty sales/support to many dealerships new and used. I guess insurance in a way, but who really knows what their friends do, kind of like on Seinfeld.

There are parts and equipment suppliers, manuafacturers reps, etc.

Make a list of all the people, products and services you come accross at work.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Ray
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:22 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

making $99k a year, I'd tough it out, work for a 2-3 years, saving most of it and put that towards schooling/sustenance for 2-3 years getting a degree at one of the accelerated colleges.

Or you can work at CarMax.. they only require you work weekends, and make your own hours during the week (so you'll have plenty of time to be at home).
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:55 PM
ttwitc9516
Advanced

**** ain't gonna work for this guy. I work at the same dealership. Pretty underendowed according to his wife. Thank goodness he's so pretty. Dude-quit freaking. I think your considering a permanent solution to a temporary situation. Stick it out as long as tolerable. Make them pay your draw or, in a worse case situation, unemployment. Go to one of our competitors that close at 6 four nights a week. You're good at what you do, just adjust from there. And be glad I'm the only other person in the dealership that reads this. TT
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:21 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Do you work out. Id suggest the adult film industry. Work 6-8hrs a week. Make $4,000 a week per film. Its only degrading if you take no pride in the product.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:27 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

What dealerships did you visit today, Twitch? You're feeling it too, I know...
Old 01-14-2005 | 01:27 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

This Isn't Dear Abby's space is it???

Sorry to hear you guys got it rough at work, makin' lots of money & workin' long hours is tough. But some folks have it the other way round and can't make ends meet.

Don't mean to get on your case but the hard truth is that Sales jobs Pay better - Period. And Good Sales folk work Long hours to get the big bucks. You just can't (legally) make a good living without education and special skills. Your skills are in working with People (or is it "working People"). Maybe I am sounding to harsh here, but in my 30 some years of work life I have counseled many people and there are simple truths.

KJ said it - If you really want to make a change (and a Great reason to is your kids) - cut back your life style, save some $$$, go to school. Study Technology or Healthcare (only two areas to bet on in the future) and combine that with your People skills and you are sure to be a winner - in business and with your kids! And the wife will love you for it to.
Old 01-14-2005 | 02:04 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Great that you started a OT thread in OT, don't understand this one though..

Quick Reply: Also in OT-Career Suggestions?