Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another street racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005 | 04:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/179721-street-racing-poll.html
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:28 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I have to say that I have speed before. I don't go 120 mph during the middle of the day on I-255. I usually go about 60-80 mph on the highway. I also don't see a problem with street racing if it is done in the right place at the right time. Now when people are street racing in the middle of the day and don't know how to drive and lose control I don't feel sorry for them. I am talking about the kids who turn 16 get their license and go out that night and race their Grand Prix against a Sunbird and get into a huge accident. That is just plain dumb. Speeding in excess of 20 over the speed limit is almost not neccessary and most of the time stupid. I love how everyone talks about pushing the limits on backroads but when someone is bashed for going 40 in 30 mph zone they are change their story and say oh that was stupid to do. Is it any different then pushing your car hard on the backroads. I think NOT. Also what is the point of modding a car/motorcycle if you can't have fun on the street. Like I said there is a time and place for doing that stuff. During rush hour is not one of them. That is my opinion.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:40 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Also what is the point of modding a car/motorcycle if you can't have fun on the street.
Bragging rights, pissing contests, the joy of building something, or taking it to the track.
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

This guy is such a dumbass. Tom, I just posted this response.

1. How in the world did you concluded I am a KID?

Your actions show that you are not only a kid, but a very dumb one at that.

2. How can you pass judgement on all kids for my actions? Are you a communist?

All kids doing something as stupid as you did deserves to lose their license. If someone hit and kill my family doing something that stupid, I will displace their brain with a .44 magnum round before the judicial system gets to him.

3. How did you know my life is worthless? Are you a murderor?

Learn to spell. I know here in America the education system is lame, but from your actions and response, you got the worst end of it. If you cannot recognize killing someone with irresponsibility and gross neglect is not something you can "repay", then you are most likely worthless.

4. How do you know it was a 'MACHO move? Do you not own muscle cars? Or is it that you are a hipocrite?

I have owned muscle cars and bikes that can do 0 to 60 in less than 2 seconds and dragged them ON THE DRAGSTRIP. You can be macho and NOT BRAINLESS. At least don't brag about being an idiot.

5. How do you I endangered all these assumed lives at 2:00 a.m. in the morning?

At least there was the other guy and don't even try to tell me you didn't drive by ANY cars in both lanes of traffic for the distance travelled accelerating to 150. Not all are as stupid as you.

6. How do you know I wanted you to be proud? Did I asked you to?

Even your own mother couldn't be proud of what you did. If you question that, show this thread to her and ask her what she thinks.

Last edited by Legoland951; 01-11-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:22 PM
marky522
Drifting

My only comment on this subject is about what porschephile wrote, if we can "rationalize" going 5 over than whats the point of speed limits? I will be the last person to say i dont speed, I am horrible, i generally do about 10 MPH over, but I also have 3 tickets in my 6 year driving history. Anyway, to me speeding is speeding, its following the rules. I bet you had to follow all the rules when you took your re-tests for flying right? How many of those "rules" you followed did you follow everyday? How many could you "rationalize" your self past? I am not saying you are wrong, i am not saying tom is wrong, I am just wondering if your saying its ok to speed just that 5MPH over and you shouldnt get into trouble for it? The way i think is thats why the speeding tickets are more expensive the worst the infraction, when i got my 9 over it was $65, but when i got my 14 over it was $110 ( two years later after a rate hike) I just dont understand the difference.

My .02

Mark
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:41 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

speed limits are problematicly low. In colorado there are set guidelines, including traffic studies for setting the speed limits. Recently, a neighboorhood succesfully lobbied for the speedlimit set by the guidlines to be dropped another 10 miles per hour on their street. City council members warned of precedent with this. 3 weeks later another street got cranked down on the speed limit. Officers dont know if the tickets will hold up in court, as the speed limit has been illegaly altered.

Allowing politics to govern something that is more of a scientific/statistical topic are very dangerous.
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The difference is the rules in flying all are based in logic. If you do or don't do something, the DIRECT consequences are pretty obvious. The guys that decide to "push" minimums on approaches or "just go take a look" in weather typically don't last too long. In a car, the consequences are a lot more indirect. If the "posted speed" on an interstate is 65 and everyone is humming along at 80 (as regularly happens) are you being more or less safe by driving at 65? This is where the "rules are rules" arguement breaks down.

My objection is with Tom's vendetta against someone that's brought up for a minor infraction like speeding (which might under the circumstances be PERFECTLY safe or even justified - what if you're trying to get a dying person to the hospital?) and putting them on the same level as some jackass that's whipping in and out of lanes in a riced out Camry or something that's held together with zip ties and duct tape racing his buddy. It simply isn't the same and although there is a certain amount of "moral high ground" to be taken by saying "rules are rules" I strongly believe that stupid rules or policies should be put under the lens of scrutiny and re-examined from time to time.

The classic example that comes up in these discussions is the Autobahn. This puts forth some pretty solid proof that vehicles can be engineered and drivers can be trained to be FAR more efficient and operate at higher speeds - and safely. It's just SO bogus here - for driving 2 mph over a (ridiculous) speed limit you can be fined a couple of hundred dollars and pay another SEVERAL hundred in jacked-up insurance costs. Does this REALLY enhance safety that much? Come on. The reality (and I pointed this out) is that in our overly litigous system, lawmakers have to "draw a line" somewhere or someone will simply hire a lawyer and sue over "unfair treatment" or "discrimination" or whatever (and probably win). There's no room for subjectivity even though the circumstances and limits (machine capability, road condition, driver ability) are VARIABLES, not constants. As such, the system "designs" around the 99th percentile, leaving an inefficient and laughably bloated system for the 50% above the median, which I suspect encompasses most people on this board (being enthusiasts, we tend to "pay attention" more and be more aware of what we're doing out there than a lot of other drivers).

The rules are a consequence of our system but in this case enforcement of them exists (in too many cases) simply to validate the system and those that make money off it - nothing more.
Old 01-12-2005 | 10:27 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lego,
Thank you. The post was locked when I got home so I couldnt reply to that moron.

You took the words right out of my mouth/hand!
Old 01-12-2005 | 10:27 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I cross posted this in the thread Tifo linked

I think we should start a new poll broken into three stages.

Question 1
Do you know someone that lost a family member to street racing or know someone that died street racing? If YES go to Question 2. If NO go to Question 3.

Question 2
Do you think street racing is OK. YES or NO

Question 3
Do you think street racing is OK. YES or NO

Think this poll would stop the retarded pissin contests? Z I am with you all the way.

One of these days I will tell you about the woman that sat next to me on the train for 8 years, how her husband left her when her son was an infant. How she held two jobs to raise the kid with no help from his dad.

How the kid graduated college and was starting a carreer. Went out with a friend....

The paramedic that arrived on the scene using the jaws of life on the car was the drivers brother!

Guess what this woman in her early fifties has to live for now?
Old 01-12-2005 | 10:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

That Quasimoto guy on the GTO forum is my hero. I only wish that I could be as cool and eloquent as he is.
Old 01-12-2005 | 10:52 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Z I am with you all the way.
Thank you.
-Z.
Old 01-12-2005 | 01:03 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Im throwing a 15yd Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Tom for not listing his Porsche with his other cars in the siggy under his name on the GTO forum.

Im just messin with ya!
Old 01-12-2005 | 01:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by UDPride
Im throwing a 15yd Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Tom for not listing his Porsche with his other cars in the siggy under his name on the GTO forum.

Im just messin with ya!
Good call! We suffer here with his Craparo (Opps - CAMARO) pics in his siggy - the least he can do is post he owns a REAL sports car over in the GTO forums!

-Z.
Old 01-12-2005 | 01:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The mullet goes on eBay thurdsay night. and the deal to sell the firebird fell through.

after the mullet is gone i will update all the sigs and add a pic of the goat here.

put the flags away, just added the S2 to the goat board.
Old 01-12-2005 | 01:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I just thought i would throw this out there,

My friend was telling me a story about some kid who was racing his friend on the highway (not sure where). They were doing 3rd - 4th gear pulls on each other. Apparently something happened and one of the kids drag racing rear ended another car, killing the driver. The driver ended up being his mom on her way home from work.

Im not sure if that story is true or not, but i have heard it atleast a half dozen times online and from people i know.

Quick Reply: Another street racing thread