Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! 944S2 hesitation on throttle ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe you just need an injector cleaning or FPR. The fuel system is my first suspect on that one since you've replaced the AFM and O2 sensor.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

So Luis, have you been able to source the issue ?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ISV is in the mail from the U.S. for around €100 less than here. Thanks for checking!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I received the ISV but haven't gotten a clear response as to whether it could be the cause of the hesitation at WOT or not.

To those suggestiong FPR and damper, I know Fpena944 has been having a similar issue that wasn't fixed by replacing these.

Problem went away by itself without replacing anything on the car so I've waited to waste a perfectly good ISV until it started hesitating again: yesterday.

NOTE: When the car hesitates the rev counter keeps climbing unaltered. Sounds like if it was an electrical problem the needle would bounce, no?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luis, I know this might sound somewhat unlikely, but I thought I'd mention a hesitation problem I had on my old 86 NA.

I thought I'd never track it down. Then it turned out to be ignition system related, as in when I put in a new rotor, plugs, spark plug wire set, coil etc. it cleared up.

I did all that because I was putting in a CD ignition (MSD 6A). The MSD unit worked quite nicely, extra torque for a NA down the bottom end, but the nice bonus was the hesitation cleared up very nicely as a side-effect.

Just a thought if you've exhausted all other possibilities...

Regards,

-Mark
Old 03-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I thought I'd never track it down. Then it turned out to be ignition system related, as in when I put in a new rotor, plugs, spark plug wire set, coil etc. it cleared up.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try putting on a new cap and rotor, and maybe even replace the coil. The plug wires aren't going to be cheap, though.

I appreciate your help, Mark.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luis: I just finished a painful debugging process with one my high mileage Volvos with Bosch FI. I wish now that I had used the plug condition to narrow down the choices between rich and lean problems. My latest problem turned out to be the FPR causing overpressure (yes, too much pressure = too much gas). The car didn’t smoke but had blackest plugs I have ever seen. It also had a hesitation when flooring the gas peddle at (low speed) while going up hill. Good luck –Roy--
Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I sent my fuel injectors away for a rebuild. Finally got my car back on the road today after my brake pad debacle. One of the injectors was leaking a bit, so far today the check engine light came on once (in 5 starts) and went out after about 3 seconds.

The car seems to be running okay but my heart sank after I saw that check engine light. I'm not sure what to try next but I still haven't seemed to cure the problem entirely.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
As for the TPS, as I understand it the way to test it is to move the throttle cable with the engine off and see if it clicks. Mine does click.
That is the 'dirty' way of testing the adjustment of the switch, though I've "heard" even that can be misleading.

There is actually a better way of testing the TPS by hooking up a multimeter/ohmmeter to look at the outputs. The full procedure is listed on Clark's site. Assuming you have a multi/ohmmeter, the test is free and worthwhile. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
That is the 'dirty' way of testing the adjustment of the switch, though I've "heard" even that can be misleading.

There is actually a better way of testing the TPS by hooking up a multimeter/ohmmeter to look at the outputs. The full procedure is listed on Clark's site. Assuming you have a multi/ohmmeter, the test is free and worthwhile. Good luck!
Yeah, Just because you hear the click does not mean the signal is making it back to the DME. Check the signal at the DME connector to be sure.

Removing the intake manifold is not as scary as you might think. Just make sure you plug the holes over the flywheel and intake ports. While you are there check the large vacuum hoses. On my car they had hardend around the connection points. They still had the original pinch clamps from the factory so they looked fine. When I removed the pinch clamps and put on new hose clamps my problems with dying on return to idle disappeared. I guess I am suggesting to check your vacuum connections if you go into the intake manifold. Your symptoms are different then mine but with 142k you should be looking into vacuum leaks too.

EDIT: If the hesitation occurs at the same RPM then I would suspect the AFM wiper was dirty or a loss of signal from the AFM.

Last edited by jonnybgood; 03-08-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't suspect the ISV for your symptoms, personally. That valve merely opens to by-pass the throttle for a little extra air when cold, and I think closes off when not idling. When warm, it opens and closes in smaller increments to adjust the idle. If I understand things, if it were sticking open, the throttle would just behave as if it's open a little wider then you commanded it to open with your foot. When it sticks closed, the idle will drop perilously close to stalling, and either it will stall or bounce to ~1500. This is I think the classic ISV failure mode.

Definitely measure the fuel pressure as in FSM's DME Troubleshooting / Dignosis section or as on Clark's. Then you'll KNOW about that.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

An update.

Today I bit the bullet and replaced both the TPS and ISV on the S2. I also put in new ISV hoses, and replaced the 2 vacuum Ts.

The TPS I knew couldn't hurt to replace, but I was really hesitant to put in the new expensive ISV. I ended up replacing both, since I figured it would be too much of a hassle to send it back.

Apparantly, it worked! Driving around after the repair, the car no longer hesitates and I'm going to give it a few more days of test driving to make sure. I think the hesitation was caused by the TPS, which was original on the car at 146K (i.e. the philips screws still had the factory yellow paint on the heads).

As for the ISV, I do notice the car idles a bit lower than before and is quieter at stoplights. Nice!

I want to thank everyone who posted their suggestions and advice to this thread. Particularly Riff, for his great pics with instructions that were very helpful.

Quick Reply: Please Help! 944S2 hesitation on throttle ?