Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my 951 a bathtub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005 | 11:30 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Default Why is my 951 a bathtub?

Yes, I have water in my 951. Grrrr. Here's the good news - it's ONLY on the driver's side, so my DME / KLR are fine. As far as I can tell, there is no damage to the car (other than the wet carpet which I will eventually have to shampoo if the rain ever stops). For now I'll just try to keep it aired out best I can and so be it. I'm driving the 944 until I get this figured out.

The BAD news is I have no idea where this is coming from. I checked all around the driver's side door seal for signs of infiltration - nothing apparent. Someone mentioned there's a drain in the "trough" under the windshield where the linkage for the windshield wiper motor goes and if it gets clogged, you can get water backed up through the heater motor and it'll go down through the vents, but this is not the case. I saw NO water in the area of the blower motor - it was bone-dry. FWIW I didn't see any drain from the "trough" through the firewall similar to the setup on the early 944s, but whatever - there wasn't much water there anyway.

I did not drive the car this weekend, so this is the result of it sitting and coming in static, not coming in through a floorboard or "spray up" or anything. It WAS raining and blowing (wind) very hard the last couple of days, so it's possible the water was forcing its way inside the cabin through a seal, but I saw nothing to indicate where exactly it's coming from.

NO sign of water AT ALL in the area of the sunroof, nor in the area of the windshield / edges. I looked up under the dash too - everything appeared dry. WTF?

Any thoughts? This one's bugging me. Suffice to say the car is going into the garage and is considered "grounded" until this is figured out and we start getting some nicer weather conditions.
Old 01-10-2005 | 11:35 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

If you haven't done so already, pull the plastic trim piece off the drivers side a-pillar and check to see that the windsheild isn't allowing a leak near the top and it is draining down the a-pillar. It's worth eliminating anyways........
Old 01-10-2005 | 11:37 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Check the drain tubes from the sunroof for blockage - often they will get clogged and water will get into the car.
-Z.
Old 01-10-2005 | 11:39 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK I'll check both those things. The sunroof appeared dry when I looked, but it's always worth checking I suppose. The a-arm thing I hadn't considered - maybe water could drain down between the side of the dash and inside of the door panel (?) I'll check that too.
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check your battery box.

Edit: Though this should only impact the passenger side. Hmmm.
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Jeff, the best way to find the leak is to wait until nightfall and use a shop light or powerful flashlight. Turn it on and drop it in the driver side footwell.

Pop open the hood and look for specks of light. Those would indicate a probable leak. Pull back the carpet and put the light under the car. Again, look for specks of light...

I got wet feet for months in my 83 until using this method to find the leak solved the problem. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2005 | 02:39 PM
sm
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Yes, I have water in my 951. Grrrr. Here's the good news - it's ONLY on the driver's side, so my DME / KLR are fine. As far as I can tell, there is no damage to the car (other than the wet carpet which I will eventually have to shampoo if the rain ever stops). For now I'll just try to keep it aired out best I can and so be it. I'm driving the 944 until I get this figured out.

The BAD news is I have no idea where this is coming from. I checked all around the driver's side door seal for signs of infiltration - nothing apparent. Someone mentioned there's a drain in the "trough" under the windshield where the linkage for the windshield wiper motor goes and if it gets clogged, you can get water backed up through the heater motor and it'll go down through the vents, but this is not the case. I saw NO water in the area of the blower motor - it was bone-dry. FWIW I didn't see any drain from the "trough" through the firewall similar to the setup on the early 944s, but whatever - there wasn't much water there anyway.

I did not drive the car this weekend, so this is the result of it sitting and coming in static, not coming in through a floorboard or "spray up" or anything. It WAS raining and blowing (wind) very hard the last couple of days, so it's possible the water was forcing its way inside the cabin through a seal, but I saw nothing to indicate where exactly it's coming from.

NO sign of water AT ALL in the area of the sunroof, nor in the area of the windshield / edges. I looked up under the dash too - everything appeared dry. WTF?

Any thoughts? This one's bugging me. Suffice to say the car is going into the garage and is considered "grounded" until this is figured out and we start getting some nicer weather conditions.
Do a search using my user ID and check out my posts regarding this issue. I went through hell trying to figure it out, but finally did.

Old 01-10-2005 | 04:18 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look for a clog in the drivers side cowl section under the hood. Its where the wiper motor is located. It fills up with water and spills over into the heater/AC ducting which then routes the water straight to the floor. It happened on my car and it was impossible to see on the inside of the car becase nothing above the floor was wet.

Quick Reply: Why is my 951 a bathtub?