Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess the logical question is...

WHY??

I love my cruise control and would never own a car without it.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt, did you read the first page for the why's or just ask?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

like matt said, some of us never use the cruise.

i deleted the cruise control, air conditioning, windshield washer unit, rear wiper, radio and speakers, all the heavy sound deadening mats, and the steering wheel. (just kidding on the last one). weight savings does add up. the car was much less than perfect anyways, and it will be primarily a DE car, so why not remove all the crap that either doesn't work or is useless on a performance car?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I have deleted:
CC
Washer
Turbo cooling pump and associated garbage
Water cooling for the turbo (only oil cooled)
PS
Balance shafts (soon)
Timing belt covers

And I will be eliminating the headlights soon.

At the end of the day if it made it easier to work on the car, it has been eliminated.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if that's the goal you could just chuck the whole engine and transplant the Chevy V8 into it. . .

:ducks:
Old 01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Well, if that's the goal you could just chuck the whole engine and transplant the Chevy V8 into it. . .

:ducks:

man, you're a hardcore purist, aren't you? i think matt's point is there is less crap in the way and therefore less to fix when it breaks.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It is okay to have differing opinions. My point was if it is not necessary (and there are a TON of parts on a 944T that are not necessary) I have removed it. God might have blessed you with a cancerous tumor, would you leave that? J/K

As to the purist point, he cant be, he is adding a turbo to an NA from an aftermarket manufacturer, that isnt very pure, Porsche inteded it to be fun but slow

BTW, chucking it for a 350 would not make life easier.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

We all have differing opinions and reasons (that's what makes the world go round, as long as we express them politely it's all golden here...........................).

I'm deleting the non-necessary crap from my car in an effort to make it lighter ala the RS/CS cars that Porsche made (albeit in the 911 lineage got the uber lite cars, but the 944's should have to, dang it!). I could afford to make it a pristine example of an 85.5 944 bone stock, but that isn't what I want.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

No I'm at work, didn't have time to read the entire page.

Still though, I use the cruise all the time. I can't imagine the cruise brain weighing all that much.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The whys include things like: I dont use CC, I needed the space that it occupied, etc. Actually, none of us (save Jeremy) said weight.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My point was the 350 is a way simpler engine to work on and pretty bulletproof. Getting it in would be a challenge, yes but if the goal is to have something that once running would be very simple, that'd probably be a good way to go.

I personally hate the chevy/944 conversions but I see why people do them. Dollar-for-dollar the chevy 350 is some of the cheapest horsepower available out there. I dunno, I guess I'm kind of a purist - more I just care about quality. If you want to delete the a/c then delete the ENTIRE system to the point where there are no longer any switches, evaporator core, hoses, anything. Just like it would have been if it had been a factory spec "non-a/c" car. I just hate stuff "half done". FWIW it sounds like the cruise control deletion would be easy to do "all the way", but a little thing like still having the control on the steering column that did nothing would annoy the living hell out of me. I even tear my hair out over the quandry I'm in with the Callaway car - I really want to update the paint and color (to a much lighter silver, kind of like you see on the new 911s) versus the stock stone grey metallic that's all ratty and peeling and falling apart on the car now. I'm bugged because I don't want the floorboards, insides of the doors, underside of the hood or paint code sticker to not be "honest". I dunno if that's being a purist - it's probably just being ****.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I actually agree about the AC, no reason to keep any of it there if you arent going to run it (aside from the switch I suppose).
Old 01-07-2005, 04:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, my car never came with cruise.

And all of the AC stuff is gone/deleted, except for the dash control unit. If I can find the proper heater control dash unit for a non-A/C equipped car, I will purchase that as well. Heck, if I could get a 968CS heater control (that works on cables), I'd be ecstatic.

That would fit into my "what the factory would have done" theme.

Along those lines, I will be getting rid of the hood shocks this weekend and installing a copy of this factory 951cup prop.
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deleted my cruise control to relocate a vacuum cansiter to install my MSD Ignition controller. My CC had never worked anyway, so I never got used to the luxury of it. I'd rather have the MSD and a cleaner looking engine bay.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i relocated my vacuum canister right behind my msd which is right next to the battery. there's plenty of space in the "battery bay" for both. mine still looks pretty clean..hehe maybe because of my recent rebuild over the summer.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Delete