Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket seat fitment (advice needed!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005 | 07:47 PM
Opeth
Pro

Default Aftermarket seat fitment (advice needed!)

Is there any concern with fitting aftermarket seats in a 944 ? The cars seem to be kinda small , just wondering if theres any models i should shy away from?

Thanks!

Derek
Old 01-05-2005 | 09:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

You can pretty much fit any aftermarket seat you want. I just re-use the sliding rail. Take the stock seat out, remove the sliding rail. Bolt new seat onto rail. Bolt whole thing back into car.
Old 01-05-2005 | 09:32 PM
my87944s
Racer

Thats great to know that the sliders are re-useable... most cars have welded in sliders. And in some cases I have spent INSANE amounts of money on sliders for aftermarkets seats!
Old 01-06-2005 | 06:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

To be more precise here, the sliders are re-usable if we are talking about a non-power seat. If it is a power seat, the slider is built into the seat more or less, not really re-usable. In my 85.5, for example, the drivers seat was full-power and the passenger seat was non-power. When installing the Corbeau seats, I customized the passenger slider to work on the drivers side (drilled two extra holes to match the mount pattern on the floor exactly). I hard mounted the passenger seat to the floor, as it does not need to move fore/aft (no one is getting in the back anyway since there is no back seat and a roll bar).

Hope that helps!
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:22 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Hold on a moment. The seats I bought, which I can't remeber the name at the moment, but they weren,t recaros or corbeau's, the seat frame was not the same width as the width as the mounting holes in the floorboard. If the the frame is narrower or wider it doesn't matter that you can bolt the stock slider to the seat because you won't be able to mount the slider to the floor because its now a different width. My seats were just slightly off and I had to grind the holes on the sliders a bit off center and reinforce with washers to make it work.
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alpine951
Hold on a moment. The seats I bought, which I can't remeber the name at the moment, but they weren,t recaros or corbeau's, the seat frame was not the same width as the width as the mounting holes in the floorboard. If the the frame is narrower or wider it doesn't matter that you can bolt the stock slider to the seat because you won't be able to mount the slider to the floor because its now a different width. My seats were just slightly off and I had to grind the holes on the sliders a bit off center and reinforce with washers to make it work.
You are correct. Danno left off the fact that you need to make plates to mate the slider to whatever aftermarket seat you are using. I used two plates (one in the front, one in the back) of 1/4" hardened steel, approximately 6" wide by 24" long to mount the seat to the rails. On the passenger side, I utilized the same plates with spacers to mount the seat to the floor. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-07-2005 | 05:19 AM
Danno
Race Director

Whoops, sorry I left out that detail. My power-seats unbolted from the rails easily. The power motors and stuff stayed with the seat, I took just the lower rail off. I welded up some 1/2 cubes about 1" square to mount the seats (imagine a 6-sided cube cut in half, so only three sides). This was because my seat had mounting points that were narrower than the holes on the rail. Also I needed to raise the seat because it was thinner than stock, and I was sitting lower than stock. I should be getting my video-camera back from the shop sometime this week, I'll post some pictures then.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket seat fitment (advice needed!)