Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having problems shifting and need some advice as to what the problem is.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005 | 04:34 PM
Alos
Instructor

Default Having problems shifting and need some advice as to what the problem is.

A few months ago I was experiencing some problems shifting in my 86 944. If the car came to a complete stop with my foot on the clutch and the car in gear the car would jerk. The problem persisted and got worse in that finally I was not able to put the car in gear without a lot of effort and grinding the gears. This only seemed to happen at slow speeds in first or second gear. The clutch was less than a year old so I put another transmission in the car which I am sure was rebuilt. The problem was still there however. Then while on the way to bring the car to the shop the car ended up having to come to a stop in traffic once this happened it was impossible to put the car in any forward gear and reverse was just grinding. Grinding reverse did however allow the car to then go into gear. Once the car was at the shop my mechanic said that he could not find anything wrong with it after taking it for a test drive, after several weeks I took the car back and it drove wonderfully shifting perfect for a month and now the car will not go into gear at all. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:40 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it is definately clutch related. Perhaps a part is on wrong, or a part is missing or flawed? What about master or slave cylinders? Were they replaced? Can someone chime in on this note?
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:42 PM
Danno
Race Director

Sounds like the hydraulics are going out. This will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging, thus the hard shifting and grinding gears. Could be as simple as a fluid- flush & replacement or may require replacing the master & slave cylinders.
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:55 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

Sounds like you're getting air into the lines that kinda floats out after the car sits for a while. I'd look at the whole hydraulic system taking particular note of the master side.

Quick Reply: Having problems shifting and need some advice as to what the problem is.