Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the tao of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005 | 01:00 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triscadek
And if you ever do total what you have spent on the 944, never, ever tell that to a woman that you want to take you seriously.
Baloney - anyone that would spend $30k on a wedding hasn't got a leg to stand on when it comes to frivolous expenditures.

Emanuel

Last edited by epbrown01; 01-06-2005 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2005 | 01:34 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

that was 35k - no decimal
PO was obsessed in general. She had the car in the shop week after week.

She picked up the car for a few bucks in pretty bad shape. 3 months later an under dash fire from bad radio install prompted a massive restoration where the car was rewired, interior changed from oyster to black, clutch and various other sundries, her first repair bill was $14,000. She figured fixing and driving the 944 was better than buying a toyota or honda. It also happens that the work was done by a shop that really hit her hard for parts and labor. The work was good, but she paid through the nose. Later, she wised up and found the right shop with the right guys.

All I really have to worry about is the original engine and tranny have never been cracked and that will come eventually - or someone totalling the car.

The wife pushes from time to time because the car is not a daily driver - therefore it must be a toy. It is a toy - MY TOY - and it makes me feel good. Perhaps she needs to find a toy of her own, and leave mine alone.
Old 01-05-2005 | 02:56 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Thumbs up Substance over image.

Personal ownership of Porsche's current model line led me back to the Golden Era. Pre- Dr. "W" PAG, before trucks and dollars got so much priority in the boardroom; and R&D made a better product, IMHO. The cost of a 996 or 986 out of warranty 10+ years out will make the 944 look like a star. It is not the Porsche that turns the heads at the blvd, but the one that emulates the Marchart era at Weissach best; when racing development went straight to the product line and customer feedback via product line went back to Weissach. 11th lifetime Porsche is the best, IMHO.

The new stuff is pretty good, but that's all it is.
Old 01-05-2005 | 07:20 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

It is a hobby guys. Hobbies are NEVER logical. I refuse to count the parts rectipts for the modifying and restoration of my 87. I love it, I like working on it, I like the looks I get driving it, I like everything about it, so it is worth the price.

But there is a qualifier, I am a glutton for punnishment. I decided I could not get the power I wanted out of the 944 cheaply, so I bought a V12 BMW last weekend. Talk about giggles.... Come on boost heads, bring it on. Lets start the race at 140mph, ok?
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:08 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

One of the first things I learned about this car, was to NEVER actually total up all the reciepts. It really has been a pretty affordable car. $1500 purchase, and about 2K in parts to get her back to a good running order.
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:35 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

If you really want to horrify yourself, add up the receipts for everything car-related including purchase cost, parts, upgrades, mods, carwashes, fuel, insurance, track day fees, etc. THEN calculate the percentage of your gross (not even net) income that represents.

Mine is more than my total withholdings for state AND federal tax.

If my wife ever finds that out, my ***** will be gone. I've password-protected my Quicken files!
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:39 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
If you really want to horrify yourself, add up the receipts for everything car-related including purchase cost, parts, upgrades, mods, carwashes, fuel, insurance, track day fees, etc. THEN calculate the percentage of your gross (not even net) income that represents.

If my wife ever finds that out, my ***** will be gone. I've password-protected my Quicken files!
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:51 PM
blackcube
Advanced

Funny, tonight my wife found my Excel spreadsheet of estimated costs of restoring my 944 and nearly ****. I've got to start storing them on a flash drive and shredding the print outs. The only thing that saved my *** were the roses I brought her tonight (7th anniversary). She really can't say anything.

Her ebay spending the last couple of years was more than my car and computer expenses.
Old 01-05-2005 | 11:46 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Jeff, you'r in good company! Dad owns five cars, I have two, wife likes the car's sexy lines and bragging rights.

Ownership is pricy but I'm established and have scrimped for many years so it's time to have some fun--damnit!!!!
Old 01-06-2005 | 01:00 AM
89AZ944
Racer

I know that this car is going to nickel and dime me (the wife does too) but the sheer enjoyment we BOTH get from this car is worth 10 times more than the 94 Nissan pickup I was driving before.

I just had the AZ emissions done and was giggling when I saw heads turn in the emissions garage when the tech spun up the 944 on the dyno. Then there was the time a snowbird took a right turn in front of me and my wife and we found out how well the ABS system worked. I like the sensation of punching down the accelerator in ALL gears and having it respond. I like it when the jerk in the mustang tries to race me down the on ramp......and loses....and the look on his face...I know that my 89 NA is not the quickest 0-60 car out there, but it does it with more style and grace than 95% of the cars on the road. My wife forgets about how much we spent on the 15K service because the dog knows I am home when it recognizes the distinctive rumble of the 944 when I pull into the driveway. I am not an attention *****, but I like it when people see the car and wave or thumbs up and I know it is not because I bolted on a fake air scoop. I like the fact that my wife insists on taking the Porsche when we go out, even though she has a tough time getting out of the passenger seat. It is worth the cost of a timing belt change to see a teenager pressing his nose to the window of his mom's suv like a 5 year old and pointing at your car with a big grin.

Those little moments add up and make me forget about how much the car has cost me unlike most of the cars I have owned in the past....

There is no Subsitute....
Old 01-06-2005 | 02:36 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Jeff, you'r in good company! Dad owns five cars, I have two, wife likes the car's sexy lines and bragging rights.

Ownership is pricy but I'm established and have scrimped for many years so it's time to have some fun--damnit!!!!
Ditto. I moved to Chicago in '86 and after I had a car stolen, simply skipped the hassle (parking, permits, maintenance) and took cabs and public trans. until 2000. By then, I decided I was sick of riding the train and wanted to have some fun.

I've been lucky as far as costs, though. I've replaced the alternator on the 944, but otherwise just little knick-knacks - less than $500 in all the time I've owned it. The 911 is about a grand a year to run, and (amazingly) I've only done an oil change and tune-up on the 928 and it's run without a hitch (knock wood).

Emanuel
Old 01-06-2005 | 11:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Want to really shock the wife...

... We were working on 2005 budget. I have entered in 200 month for "car parts". She is ok with this. Then I added in $400 month for racing.

I got her to ok it, but many first words were that is $5000 per year and she was not happy. Well for those that do DE or race $400 /month is pretty much bare bones for racing budget.
Old 01-06-2005 | 03:24 PM
Chase72
Racer

To all my fellow Married Male Rennlisters, thank you for your comments!

This is my first year of P-car ownership, and let's just say that I'm glad I'm using a credit card that gets me frequent flier miles... (insert laughter) But seriously, it is really nice to see that I'm not alone in getting the wife (who is new as well) to understand our loyal following for these cars. I have tried to price it out for her that the costs of depreciation and eventual maintenance on a new car (like my former X-5) will cost much more than what's going into the S2 (pesky oil leak). I guess she doesn't yet appreciate the music from the motor, why I am constantly looking to apex early (heck, Apex to her was the team on "The Apprentice"), or that stupid grin I get when I'm behind the wheel (and the poor sod next to me in the Japanese import looks envious)... *sigh* Then again, I can't understand her fetish for import handbags either... Go figure.

Any good stories or strategies to share for a newlywed to keep a happy marriage AND a well-maintained Porsche?
Old 01-06-2005 | 03:37 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by Chase72
To all my fellow Married Male Rennlisters, thank you for your comments!
Any good stories or strategies to share for a newlywed to keep a happy marriage AND a well-maintained Porsche?

Take her to a dealer and act interested in a new one while letting her see the sticker of even a non-S 997. Then, lament on what a great bargain Porsche you are driving now because building a family oriented future is your number 1 financial priority.
Old 01-06-2005 | 03:46 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 89AZ944
I just had the AZ emissions done and was giggling when I saw heads turn in the emissions garage when the tech spun up the 944 on the dyno. Then there was the time a snowbird took a right turn in front of me and my wife and we found out how well the ABS system worked. I like the sensation of punching down the accelerator in ALL gears and having it respond. I like it when the jerk in the mustang tries to race me down the on ramp......and loses....and the look on his face...I know that my 89 NA is not the quickest 0-60 car out there, but it does it with more style and grace than 95% of the cars on the road. My wife forgets about how much we spent on the 15K service because the dog knows I am home when it recognizes the distinctive rumble of the 944 when I pull into the driveway. I am not an attention *****, but I like it when people see the car and wave or thumbs up and I know it is not because I bolted on a fake air scoop. I like the fact that my wife insists on taking the Porsche when we go out, even though she has a tough time getting out of the passenger seat. It is worth the cost of a timing belt change to see a teenager pressing his nose to the window of his mom's suv like a 5 year old and pointing at your car with a big grin.

Those little moments add up and make me forget about how much the car has cost me unlike most of the cars I have owned in the past....

There is no Subsitute....
Absolutely lovely! I give that speech a standing ovation!

Quick Reply: the tao of ownership