Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB - Anyone with some decent rear shocks for '83 944?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default WTB - Anyone with some decent rear shocks for '83 944?

I was hoping that there might be a decent pair laying around after someone completed their upgrade. My passenger side is collapsed and I am not ready to pay for the upgrades yet but need to do something. I just can't see buying a Boge replacement set just to pull in a few months when I get to that point.

TIA

Michael
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelathome
My passenger side is collapsed
The shocks don't hold the car up, the torsion bars do. More info?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:37 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Well, as I am new to the entire process on a 944 I am doing the reading now. You are definetly correct. So, in that there is VISIBLE sag on the passenger rear side what you are suggesting is replacing the torsion bars or at least adjusting them? I'll try to post a pic a bit later tonight as I do not have my camera handy.

My '83 came w/factory rear sway bars as well. Could they play a part in what I am seeing as far as sag? I definitely need to post some pics. Back in a bit w/more details.

Michael
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, it could be a shock if the difference is small and you have gas shocks. The gas pressure in the shock can raise the car maybe about 1/2 an inch. That would be easy to check, jack up the car, disconnect the bottom end of each shock and compare how hard it is to compress them.

The sway bar would only cause the sag if it was twisted, which isn't likely. If the sag is only an inch or so you could maybe adjust it out with the eccentrics. If not, you can reindex the torsion bars following the procedure in Clark's Garage

Does the car sag when you are in the driver's seat? I seem to remember somewhere that cars are normally lower on the passenger's side.

Finally, the ghetto way to solve it would be to throw 1 or 2 50' bags of sand on the driver's side in the rear.

Quick Reply: WTB - Anyone with some decent rear shocks for '83 944?