Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with this chip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
my87944s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience with this chip?

There is a guy on eBay whom Ive been asking questions of. He sells all type of ecu upgrade chips including Autothority chips.
I have asked him very bluntly if these are AUTHENTIC Autothority chips, or if they are copied. He states that they are authentic chips that will be shipped in their original packaging with all the markings and information.
SO, I bid on the chip last week and won the auction for $45. I have not yet received the chip, but expect it today...
What are the chances this chip is the read deal, and if it IS authentic... what kind of realistic gaines can I expect? Here is the cut/paste from the Autothority web site. ALSO is there anything that I should worry about after install?

Products: Porsche: 944 S
ECU Upgrade
Our AutoThority chip upgrade provides your car with a 18 horsepower gain at the wheels and improved torque to go along with it. The low-end torque and throttle response are improved and the driveability is smooth throughout the entire power band. The performance can be felt right away as your car will speed through the revs quickly before reaching the raised rev limiter. The rev limiter has been raised 300 RPM in each gear and there is no top speed limiter. Our AutoThority Performance Chip is a simple upgrade and comes with full instructions on how to install it in your car.
Price: $395.00
Old 12-28-2004, 04:00 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

The chip debate is an ongoing issue here on Rennlist. 944Pete just put a chip in his S2 and got positive results. His thread is only a few days old so do a search to get his opinion.

I am currently looking for a chip for my 944S. I recently had a DME wiring harness melt down and now with a new harness installed everything works great except my idle circuit. So I am going to try chip replacement to solve the idle problem. I have seen a guy on eBay selling a S2 chip for $25 and another guy selling an Europroducts chip for $50. The $25 guy does not have S chips and I am waiting for the Europroducts reply.

Who did you get your chip from?
Old 12-28-2004, 04:07 PM
my87944s
Racer

The Ebay seller is (tuner_pros) and he currently has another 944s chip for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...943363229&rd=1
Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Thanks, that is the same guy that Pete944 got his from. The only thing I don't like is the switch from 89 to 91 octane.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
my87944s
Racer

Well, if you read the fuel door on your S... it already recomends 91 octane... I use it in all my cars (may be a waste... but maybe not) I know that in my high compression SVT Focus its a requirement. I accidentally allowed my wife to drive it once and she put 89 in... OMG the car ran like a 30 year old Datsun with a bad carb for days. I finally dumped the tank and cleaned it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:42 PM
schumi
Instructor

Originally Posted by my87944s
Well, if you read the fuel door on your S... it already recomends 91 octane... I use it in all my cars (may be a waste... but maybe not) I know that in my high compression SVT Focus its a requirement. I accidentally allowed my wife to drive it once and she put 89 in... OMG the car ran like a 30 year old Datsun with a bad carb for days. I finally dumped the tank and cleaned it.
Using higher octane gas in cars that don't need it is indeed a waste of money. But the oil companies help the economy so I'm all for it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

A good buddy of mine used to work for Autothority and said their chip does offer some improvements. He also sold me one for half-price.

All in all, I'm satisfied with it. The butt dyno says the car is a touch faster, but we all know how accurate those are, nor does it feel like the 14 hp I was told I'd gain. I will say, though, that even if there is no significant power increase, I do enjoy the new power curve and throttle response.

So, yeah, I'm happy with it, although unless I had money to throw around I'm not sure I'd spend the full price on it. But this sort of thing is too subjective...

BB.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta dyno-test before and after chip-upgrade to see qantitative values on the improvements. Paul Bloomberg in AZ is one of the few guys who've done this. He's also done a before & after comparison of removing the balance-shafts too.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That is where I got my chip from. A few people have asked and all I had was the email address. I forgot the "_" in it. Sorry folks!
It was tuner_pros@yahoo.com
I got my S2 chip for $25 +shipping.
According to the G-Tech it shaved 1/2 second off of 0-60. More importantly (to me anyway) was that the shudder on decelleration is completely gone.

These chips don't make that big a difference performancewise on an NA or 16V to justify spending over $100 but for under $50 it is worth it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Out of curiosity, is the 1/2 second improvement the result of better performance or a higher redline/shift point? I recall reading somewhere in one test that the chip allowed the car to shift from 2-3 above 60, whereas before it was at 58, so time wasn't lost there.

BB.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Tyrah
5th Gear

I asked a guy from powerProm what kind of improvements i'd get on my '83 944 and he said a whole second faster 0-60mph... and it would also fix the shudder... I haven't put a chip in my car yet, but I've been looking around for the best so this is the best I've found so far. Anyone know of any other chips?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i have a weltmeister chip in my 944S. only had the car for a month before installing it, so my experience is relatively marginal. it did seem to help a little bit but certainly not the claimed 14 hp increase.

i would suspect your chip is genuine, but if it's a copy it's probably just as good. certainly not worth $395!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:35 PM
dave120
Drifting

I got the Steve R chip before this $25 came around..I think I paid $130 for it a while back...even if you get no peak hp gain I guarantee it bumps the curve up a little bit. The car is a lot more responsive in the midrange and revs more freely up top. Gas mileage even improves a bit. The S2 already requires 93 (or 91 in some states) octane so no change there for me. It was worth the $130 to me for it and $25 is just killer because you DO notice a difference in the way the car drives.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the dyno no chipset made more than about 2 HP, however the shift in the curve might have made it worthwhile. You all know where I stand with them, if they are being given away, go for it...for 400 bucks there a better ways to make your car faster (400 bucks will pay for at least two DEs).
Old 12-28-2004, 07:54 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

The 91 rating on the fuel flap door is the RON rating method. I learned from previous Rennlist threads that the USA system is a different system. From a previous thread is the following:
The Motor rating came first, is a more severe test and represents engines under high load, full throttle conditions. It’s usually abbreviated to MON (Motor Octane Number).
The Research method was developed to represent engines under lighter load, part throttle conditions more like those commonly found in road vehicles. It’s abbreviated to RON (Research Octane Number) and is usually a higher number than the Motor rating.
The AKI or Pump Posted number is the average of the MON and RON ratings for a given fuel. The AKI is a better indicator of the fuel characteristics, when only one octane number is advertised.

Fuel type ..................MON......................AKI or PP............RON
Unleaded:..................82 .............................87...................91
Premium unleaded:....86..............................91...................96

You need to know which octane rating is meant when the manual says "use 95 octane". To reduce consumer confusion over different octane numbers, the USA passed laws so that AKI is the octane rating shown on pumps at gas stations. Commonly-available fuels are 87, 89 and 91 AKI octane.
So from that information 87 should be ok for a 944S. I have been running 89.

Getting back to the chip. I have just purchased the Weltmeister chip off ebay because I am chasing a stumbling idle problem. I paid the Buy it Now price in order to get it here sooner, $75. I will post my opinions after the switch.

Quick Reply: Any experience with this chip?