Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 s2 started overheating, positive its grounds <need advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 944 s2 started overheating, positive its grounds <need advise

hey guys, my s2 yesterday started overheathing, well kind of. everytime i turn the lights onthe temperature idle jumps all the way to the last white lane.
i know its a ground problem, and i already cleaned all the grounds i know of but with no luck. i know some of you mentioned to add more grounds in other threads, but no one really gave a detailed description how :
- run the wire from where to where
- what kind of wire
- pictures could help

thanks a lot guys, all the help will appreaciated.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:38 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 12-28-2004, 01:45 PM
jurg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mike,this is charles from eightyonemotorsports
Have you looked in the back of the motor underneath the manifold?
There is a ground there that is very important,also you may want to check the headlight relay,proceed by removing it and get the light up manually and turn them on ,and check the temp.Also check the connection in the sender up front under the manifold ,.
Maybe you have some kind of short in the circut if you need any help email me.
charlton@eightyonemotorsports.com
Old 12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, it is almost certain that it is a ground issue if all you are adding is the headlight draw to jump the needle up. Could still be positives but ground is easy and cheap to fix.

Cleaning the ground points of the main battery grounds may not help much especially since you are from Miami with salt heavy air. What happens is corrosion walks up the interface between the terminal barrel and wire core and there goes resistance through the roof. Easiest solution is replace the two main grounds.

The other problem is the galvanizing in the body and the electrolytic action with the zinc. Again this is going to be worse in a salt air enviroment. Adding a supplemental ground from the front of the motor to the forward frame rail does wonders to improve the body's ability to act as a common ground.

I have a few of the upgrades still available $49 for the main positives and $20 for the supplemental forward ground. Shipping would probably be something around 11 bucks depending when the new rates kick in. So for $80 you can probably fix the problem or at least make a substantial portion of it go away.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:30 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

thanks charles, how are doing , i havent senn you in a while.
no, i havent looked for the any other grounds but the ones in the front. i will try that later today and i will let you know how it goes.
thanks guys
Old 12-28-2004, 04:18 PM
jurg
Racer

Originally Posted by mike_99l
thanks charles, how are doing , i havent senn you in a while.
no, i havent looked for the any other grounds but the ones in the front. i will try that later today and i will let you know how it goes.
thanks guys
Hey,
were doing fine,just getting used to the new office,out here in hialeah.
Check out our new webpage www.eightyonemotorsports.com,you can find all our contact information there whenever you need anything.
We will be opening a retail store soon by where we were before.
Hope everything works out.

Quick Reply: 944 s2 started overheating, positive its grounds <need advise