Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NuB, need assistance in buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:29 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NuB, need assistance in buying advise

Hello All,

Seems like a great group. I am coming off my 5th Audi Inline 5, selling my beloved '95.5 S6 avant with chip (290hp), Porsche 993 calipers, eibach/Billstein sports, etc. Basically, I need the money (it's still worth about $18k), and I have long been considering a 944 turbo. I am a Porschephile at heart, and I need a "cut to the chase" advise.

Obviously, I'm no coward to turbo lag, and I appreciate the performance enhancements that come with turbos. If I have $10,000 to spend, what's the recommended year, modifications (and ones to avoid), and what are the gremlins to beware of? I want something trackable but still street-worthy. Any point even considering a normally aspirated S2?

Any comments/suggested, even a point in the right direction (link to other site) greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Portland, OR

PS - anyone looking for a 155+ mph AWD wagon (my S6 avant) with only 79k??
Old 12-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As another S6 owner...Wow keep the Avant!! I wish I had found an Avant when I was looking.

As for the p-car questions, what do you want out of the 944? All of the 944s are immanently trackable with little to no modifications. Obviously the 951 is easily upgradeable for hp gains relative to the S2, but if you are planning on keeping it stock (hp wise), it is tough to beat a good S2. The nicest thing about the S2 is that getting more hp is expensive, so you end up just going out and driving it and enjoying it...

Cheers,
Old 12-28-2004, 12:39 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things to look out for:
Records
front end service
rod bearing service

Records are nice for the obvious reason you can see how the car was taken care of. Front end service has to be done every 30K miles and can either make or break a deal since it costs ~$2K to get it done and if you decide to neglect it you better be prepared to spend some bucks in rebuilding the head. Rod bearing service should be done every 100K miles of normal driving and after roughly about 40 hours of track time. The 944 has a bad habbit of spinning rod bearings so better to have it done and over with than have to deal with that damage.

951 vs S2. Like Riff said it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to go insanely fast and be able to modify your car to no end then a turbo is where you want to be. If you just want a quick car that is fun to drive but can't really be modified then you want an S2.

Quick Reply: NuB, need assistance in buying advise