Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$100,000 924???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005 | 11:16 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Lets have a look into VALUES vs. WORTH....

This is a sale that is marketed as a "Collector." A Collector item regardless of nature be it a car or jewlery etc is "valued" in a different way placing the "value" on the "collector" rather than the item itself.

The value of the car as a "item" is only worth how we see cars worth today. If you price the car based on "real worth" it is not a good value. This car has been idle since birth and on Porsche's the car needs to be run in order to maintain good gasket integrity. 911 in particular have this problem if the engine never gets a good workout. Most need a total rebuild if sat on blocks all these years. I can only assume 944 engines are no different. This factor lowers the value.

Condition is irrelevent as this is in top form regardless of the need of the buyer.

Performance history.....None, so the value is less than one that had a good racing log to it.

But the value as a "collector" is exclusive to the individual wanting it. You may want it but for only 50 grand where another may want it more and willing to pay double and so on.

So the values are going to be drastically different depending on how we see the car and what it's value means to us. Some here would not give a dime while others here would pay the price. There is no "right or wrong" value.

Market......The market for this car is extremely small versus a 911 of similiar rarity. With such a tiny market audience available the seller has to go for maximum exposure to in hopes of catching the very person in who they target. This is being done as we speak on eBay. The owner is fishing for that buyer by utilizing eBay as a media to extend world wide. The kind of exposure eBay brings is HUGE and captures many responses and questions. This information can be looked at by the owner to evaluate the market and what the reactions are to help "zero in" his/her sale to the ideal candidate/buyer.

The owner does not really intend to sell on eBay but will if the case would arise.

The other "value" that we did not know and do not is the owner is a very popular person and the name would be recognized. So this is a brokered sale keeping the "famous" owner out of it. The owner does not wish to be known. Thus as a brokered car the info may be erroneous at times changing the value.

It is only worth as much as it is worth to you!
Old 01-01-2005 | 12:12 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally I think he put that car up on ebay to draw attention to his parts store. If so, probably a smart move.

-Joel.
Old 01-01-2005 | 01:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Are you a collector?
No
Do you have the resources to buy a $100K car?
Could, but it wouldnt be my first choice to spend 100K
Who are YOU to determine value? If I could, I would buy this car. Of course it wouldn't be the first, second, or even third Porsche to my hypothetical list. But, DAMN man you come down hard on this, why? Because it's a 924? Because it's not YOUR idea of what money should buy?
Because these sell all over the world for about 1/2 of the prcie he is asking, this isnt the first one ever sold, or even the first one this year. The others sold have generally had a pedigree. It is what it is, a neat collectors piece. At this point it is an overpriced collectors piece with virtually no market (except those who cannot afford it).
"A fool and his money are easily parted" I suppose I'm a fool for even considering this car.
I was referring to the Cudas, but if the shoe fits.
Remember, without this car and it's predecessors there would be no 944/924S/944S/944S2/951/968/968TS/968TRS.
I am sure that is supposed to mean something.
Just because you CAN post doesn't mean you SHOULD post.
Good to see your opinion, worth little more than mine.
Personally I think he put that car up on ebay to draw attention to his parts store. If so, probably a smart move.
I agree. Even a collector knows the car is not worth 100K. For that matter if you were genuinely selling this car ebay wouldnt be where you tried to sell it.
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:06 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

This car is now part of the Taj Ma Garaj collection, it just arrived over the weekend. I'll get pics for anyone interested this week.
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:10 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by tifosiman
This car is now part of the Taj Ma Garaj collection, it just arrived over the weekend. I'll get pics for anyone interested this week.
Very cool, isn't there an annual meet at the taj?
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:11 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Jeremy, did it go for less than 6 figures?
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:16 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
Jeremy, did it go for less than 6 figures?
Uncertain of the price, I haven't been down there yet to check it out or talk to him much about it. It was a suprise to me.

I got the call about it last nite, I want to try to drop by in the next few days.

Since he already has that un-raced 951 Cup car, and this car, I need to start talking him into importing a 968CS or 968TS to complete the rare transaxle car collection.

Very cool, isn't there an annual meet at the taj?
I'm not certain of the next event to be held there this year. There is the usual "Taj Kreuzers" event held every year in June, so maybe you can make it then if not earlier?
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:22 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

I'm not certain of the next event to be held there this year. There is the usual "Taj Kreuzers" event held every year in June, so maybe you can make it then if not earlier?
From all the pics I've seen of the cars, I really want to go. I'll keep watching for info about the next one then.
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:33 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I remember John Dixon saying that his 944 turbo cup was the last of the 924/944 series he would have in his collection. . . . .

I am glad to see he changed his mind!
Old 08-09-2005 | 12:13 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Man it is a SWEET! machine.. Pure sex on wheels. it has ALL and I DO MEAN ALL the lightweight goodies.... it's the nicest looking front engined Porsche I have seen!
Old 08-23-2005 | 07:08 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, blast from the past - just saw the updates on this. Tifosiman - If you could get some photos of the car in its new home I would love to see them!

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:34 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

This guy obviously wants to create a premium market for these cars now. He will accomplish that- once somebody pays what he is asking for. Then, the rare LeMans racer moves up several notches on the price ladder.

Regarding the car- I love the nose panel scoops, and hood snorkel. The Siemens-Hartig Digital ignition is very quirky and can frustrate an owner, more than once. Just ask Derek Bell- who owns a beautiful Guards' Red RHD version.

zach

Quick Reply: $100,000 924???