Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling NJ/NY area Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004 | 12:32 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Default Calling NJ/NY area Rennlisters

Its really time for me to replace the belts and waterpump in my car. I dont have the necissary tools to do this nor the experience. As you guys reccomended I checked out the Clarks garage instructions on how to do the job but I really dont feel comfortable doing this by myslef for the first time. Is anyone willing to give me a hand one weekend doing the job? I live in Ringwood New Jersey. Id really appreciate it if one of you could give me a hand with this. I would just take it in to have it done but Id really like to learn how to do this so next time this job needs to be done, I could do it by myself. Thanks for the help guys.

-Jeff
Old 12-26-2004 | 02:36 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

If someone will supply the garage and tools, I'll lend a hand.

The only concern with not doing it at your house is the waterpump, if you snap a stud/bolt it will take a bit of time to get that figured out... so now your car is stuck at someone else's house...

Looking at your avatar, it looks like your car is a pre-87?
Old 12-26-2004 | 09:34 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I'd be willing to come over and lend a hand, I've helped on belt jobs, but haven't done a waterpump so it would be a good learning experience for me as well.

Steve
Old 12-26-2004 | 10:10 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Wish I could lend a hand Jeff, what with all the expirence I've gotten with mine lately that job would take care of a Saturday morning, now what to do for the rest of the day? Take a drive down Ft. Lauderdale beach I guess. Hope you find some help, it's not really that hard a job, few tricks help too.
Good Luck,
Bill
Old 12-26-2004 | 11:48 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replys guys, We can use my garage (3 car garage with pleny of room) to do the work, that is if you dont mind driving to my house. Yes Adrial it is an 84.
Old 12-26-2004 | 12:00 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

We could even use my neighbors garage with a lift in it if that makes the job any easier.
Old 12-26-2004 | 12:44 PM
njwilser
Instructor

Jeff,
Put a parts list together. Belts, pump, rollers?, seals?
You are gonna need a few special tools.
Flyweel lock, 24 mm spanner, 27 mm spanner, pin wrench for the balance shafts if you do the seals.
There is also a parts list for the W'pump. T'stat, gasket and other stuff.
I've heard good things about Bruce Arn's tools at www.arnworx.com
I might be able to make it but just wish you were a little closer.
As mentioned above, the water pump studs should be given the utmost respect and I don't recall if people use sealant on the pump mating surface or just the gasket. The expertise of the job lies in the carefull r/r of the pump and inspecting/tensioning upon reassembly.
Old 12-26-2004 | 02:50 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Alright heres my attempt at a parts list:
Rebuilt or New Waterpump
Waterpump gasket
Camshaft belt
Balance shaft belt
Tensioner stud
Cam belt / balance belt roller
Thermostat

If you guys could add anything else i need with a website on where to get it, I will order it all tonight.
Old 12-26-2004 | 04:17 PM
njwilser
Instructor

Jeff,
theres been many threads and parts lists in the past. I'm not familiar enough w/ all the parts to give you definitive answers. my advice would either do more research or let the "expert" at the parts house help you fill your order. Has the pump ever been updated. If not there is the guide bar issue. Also I think the roller may change size when the rail is installed. This job is approached different ways by different people. Some (myself included) put on new belts, tension by hand, inspect rollers and pump and move on. Others replace everything under the covers and that works for them.
Good luck.
Old 12-28-2004 | 12:39 PM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

Have you done the job yet? I have done the belts more times than I care to mention, and have the all the necessary tools (fly lock, pin spanner, balance seal press), but no belt tension tool. I think that one is unnecessary. Never did the w-pump, but its just a few more bolts.

PM me if you need tools or help. I am in Moonachie, about 20 mins from Ringwood.

As far as parts, you may want to do the seals. Its costs a bit more, but it saves you from doing the job over if you get a leak. Its only a minor PITA to do them.

Quick Reply: Calling NJ/NY area Rennlisters