Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Throw Out Bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:34 PM
my87944s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Throw Out Bearing???

I am having an issue with my clutch and I think its the throw out bearing.
The clutch works perfectly, shifts up and down with a perfect balance. BUT when I am sitting at a light, or drive-up and the car is in neutral there is a chattering coming from the clutch area.
I have a 2002 Ford Focus SVT with the German Getrag 6 speed tranny. The clutch has made that noise since day one and Ford says its not an issue and that they are all doing that.
Is this the case with the 944S setup also? Or should I be concerned... As I said it works perfectly and was just replaced 30k miles ago.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 12-26-2004, 12:56 AM
my87944s
Racer

Anybody?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:07 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When you are sitting there in neutral and hearing the noise, is the clutch released?

If so, does the noise go away when you push in the clutch pedal?
Old 12-26-2004, 02:31 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if what paul described is the case..that's normal chatter. nothing to be worried about if i'm correct?
Old 12-26-2004, 12:26 PM
my87944s
Racer

Yes, the clutch is released... then when I press the clutch in, the noise goes away.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my87944s
I am having an issue with my clutch and I think its the throw out bearing.
The clutch works perfectly, shifts up and down with a perfect balance. BUT when I am sitting at a light, or drive-up and the car is in neutral there is a chattering coming from the clutch area.
I have a 2002 Ford Focus SVT with the German Getrag 6 speed tranny. The clutch has made that noise since day one and Ford says its not an issue and that they are all doing that.
Is this the case with the 944S setup also? Or should I be concerned... As I said it works perfectly and was just replaced 30k miles ago.
Thanks,
Terry
No, I don't think thats normal at all. There shouldn't be any noise in this manner AFAIK. I know a noisy TO bearing can go like that for a long time before it becomes a real gotta change issue, but, its also a pain to put up with it for any length of time also. And theres no sure way to know for how long.
I've never experienced this problem with my Porsche's yet, but it sure sounds like its the throwout bearing to me also. Must have been just the luck of the draw with it dying out so soon. Was it a DIY job, or a shop job? Maybe it was cheap parts used, or maybe water washout that contributed? I don't know about that Ford your refering to, but if I was told that, I'd be going somewhere else for a second opinion . Good luck, stuff like this sucks.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:37 PM
my87944s
Racer

The clutch was done prior to me owning the car at a very reputable independant here in San Diego.
Does the entire tranny need to come aprt to replace the TO bearing (like on my other car) or is this a job that can be done without tearing the car completely apart?
The other car is a 2002 Ford Focus SVT and I did take it to another dealer, and even called SVT directly... Still to this date they have no issues with saying just drive it... when you replace the clutch we will replace the TO.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

oh no no to replace the t/o bearing you don't have to rip apart the tranny. it's just part of the clutch job. in 944's the t/o bearing is included with clutch kits. it's part of it.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my87944s
The clutch was done prior to me owning the car at a very reputable independant here in San Diego.
Does the entire tranny need to come aprt to replace the TO bearing (like on my other car) or is this a job that can be done without tearing the car completely apart?
The other car is a 2002 Ford Focus SVT and I did take it to another dealer, and even called SVT directly... Still to this date they have no issues with saying just drive it... when you replace the clutch we will replace the TO.
Its not an "easy" job as per se..........but DIY doable, with a little research and planning. Like azndrvr447 said though, its normally done when doing the complete clutch replacement because of the amount of work involved. Generally speaking, the tranny needs to be dropped out, inside shifter removed, torque tube tube unbolted from back of bellhousing and slid back, remove the crank sensor, starter, slave cyl., shift fork (which a lot of people have a time with), drop bell housing, and then you can touch it. Because of the amount work involved, most would opt to install all new clutch parts. Consevative cost of $500.00 just in parts alone for complete clutch kit. I'd expect at least twice that if you had it done somewhere. Probably about the same thing with your Ford, hence you got the the response "when you replace the clutch we will replace the TO". Same thing sorta applies here, the way I see it.
The only thing I'm a little leary about with the stuff I'm telling you, is that you describe sound as more of a "chattering". My experience with other clutches, and TO bearings is that the sound is more of a distinct bearing squeel and vibration. I don't know, people describe sounds differently. The clutches I've installed on these cars, has been done when I had the engine completely out of car. Many others here have done it the other route.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:16 PM
my87944s
Racer

The sound as more of a bearing type noise... its the exact same noise the SVT makes... I will just wait till I need a new clutch unless something else developes... Thank you all.
Terry
Old 12-27-2004, 07:53 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

If it goes away when you push in the clutch, it may be a torque tube bearing.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 PM
cgoldhill
Intermediate

I have a smiliar problem as 87944s but the noise becomes more apparent when you push the clutch in. It still makes some noise when the clutch is released in neutral but when i push in the clutch the noise almost overpowers the engine noise. Is this a throw out bearing or something else?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM
my87944s
Racer

Originally Posted by cgoldhill
I have a smiliar problem as 87944s but the noise becomes more apparent when you push the clutch in. It still makes some noise when the clutch is released in neutral but when i push in the clutch the noise almost overpowers the engine noise. Is this a throw out bearing or something else?
Mine is exact opposite... clutch pedal out = noise, clutch pedel in = no noise
Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgoldhill
Yes, that is most likely a bad TO bearing or less likely, broken pressure plate fingers.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:39 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the exact same noise from my 87 S.

Quick Reply: Bad Throw Out Bearing???