Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help me get this running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004 | 11:05 PM
4spd924
Advanced

Default Can someone help me get this running?

I have a 1977 Porsche 924 4 cyl 4 spd.I know I need a spark plug wire because one was chewed through but the problem I am having is that all of my lights(including gauge lights)come on when I ture the switch but the car doesnt turn over.It doesnt even crank.Could it be due to a junk starter?

Also I know I need an alt bracket since the alt is tensioning toward the block because it seems it cant bolt in with the belt on it.Also I need a new ignition switch if that has anything to do with it.The one that was in it was torn out by someone else and needs to be replaced.I use either a screwdriver or my Camaro key to turn the switch now.

If I cant get this running then it wont even be worth getting a title for to me.It is in great overall shape and I would like to get it running so I can shut up all of my friends that say its a pos and such.I know once she runs shell move!!!

Thanks in Advance,
Ron
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:30 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Ron,

I ran into a similar problem w/my 944 several weeks back and it turned out to be a loose cable to the ignition switch. Once I got that straight I had all of my interior power as well and the car would turn over. I needed to pull the DME off of the steering column in order to get up to it.

Questions:
- Good charged battery?
- What are you hearing when you turn the ignition, anything? Buzzing from the fuel injection?
- Clicking from the starter?
- There is a DME (computer brain) under the steering wheel, is it connected?
- On the top left of the fuse panel is there a black relay, if so when you turn the ignition do you hear it clicking?

There are so many places to look. Good luck. I'll try to help if I can. I am sure there will be a few of us here for that matter.

Michael
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:36 PM
4spd924
Advanced

It was a charged battery,I did hear a eletrical sounding noise coming from the rear of the car most of the times I turned the switch.I didnt hear the starter clicking.I dont know if the brain is connected but wouldnt it have to be if all of my dash lights were on?And for the last question I dont think I heard anything clicking really.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:57 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Check and make sure that you have power at the coil. Here is where I run out of help, I am not sure if the starter is in the same place on the 944 and 924 but you could try running a positive lead from the battery to the starter and or cross the positive and the negative leads at the starter and see if it turns over. the starter on the 944 can be seen by looking under the car behind the drivers side front wheel toward the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter.

You can do a search and likely find the how to in forum.

Sorry but from here I can't really offer much more. Your DME and relay may be working if your fuel pump is sending but I know that it controls several more functions.

Michael
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:00 AM
neward
Advanced

Ron, I would start from the starter. Turn the key to "start" position, if you have +12 v on the remote wire (in the back of starter) then you might have problem with starter or positive cable or the contact. If you don't have +12 on the remote wire, then you should check out you ignition switch.... I hope this will help you at least be able to crank the engine.
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:06 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Here is a link to graphic that may help. http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_...-85/Pic111.jpg
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:13 AM
4spd924
Advanced

Thanks everyon for your help so far but I am losing hope already...
Old 12-23-2004 | 01:04 AM
fossil_fuel
Instructor

The 924 is very prone to grounding issues. Inspect the main wire loom from the battery to the starter and make sure there are no brakes or corrosion built up on those cables. The starter is located below the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. The buzzing you hear from the back of the car is the fuel pump and hearing it buzz when you turn the ignition to the start position is a good thing. As noted in your other post I have an alt. bracket I can send you.
Old 12-23-2004 | 01:37 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Ron,

You have not answered weither or not you are getting power at the coil and the distributer, an easy way to sheck the distributer is to just pull a plug wire from the distibuter and listen for a spark.

The coil you can check w/any 12v meter or tester.

As for the starter were you able to get it to spin at all?

Michael
Old 12-23-2004 | 10:48 AM
4spd924
Advanced

Right now I am away from my house so I cant check that right now.But...Keep um coming.I guess I wont give up hope and I will print this page out before I go home.

Ron

Quick Reply: Can someone help me get this running?