Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway 944 values?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the conversion was performed by Callaway, it's probably fine. Their pistons were forged and of very good quality. On my car the conversion is being done by me with Callaway components that have been on at least two other cars; the pistons are long since gone, so I'm simply transplanting in 951 slugs that are also 8.0:1. Original Porsche part, easy to get rings for, and also forged. I may go with ones like in the Mahle Motorsports kit, but for now, there's no need - I was able to pick up a set of 951 pistons in excellent condition for a little over $300. I'll have them checked for roundness soon (I don't foresee any problems - they look great) and pop some new rings in them; should be good as new.

Don't worry Danno, I've had my eye (albeit passively) on 3.0L engines for a while. I did bid on AznDragon's a while back, but it ended up going for more than my "on a whim" budget would allow. I didn't really figure I'd really end up with it anyway, but it was worth a shot. . . I don't mind waiting; I plan on keeping this car for a very long time - restoring it to the sculputural piece of steel I know it can be, and of course DRIVING it occasionally, including on the track. I just believe in "go big or go home". Why spend five times as much in the long run tinkering with incremental upgrades and taking a hit every time you "do a little more" and "do a little more" and "do a little more" when you can simply plan for and go for what you really want by setting your sights high, holding out, waiting if necessary and then not being afraid to do it when the opportunity comes? It's kind of in my nature I guess. My tastes are simple, I just want the best (other factors and limitations considered of course). A turbo 3.0L early 944 would be just the ticket in this case! Since I have to wait for my wallet to catch up with my ambitions, I have to wait, but so what? I'll do it when I can. I have much I can learn in preparation for it anyway. Plus "spreading it out" makes it less likely that my wife will finally crack and run off with some wealthy insurance salesman instead of hanging onto a poor aspiring architect with a bad Porsche habit! (In other words, come to her senses).

Right now it's just and EBC for the 951, a few repairs (not upgrades) and some general maintenance issues, then time to focus on the Callaway!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, we've got the same philosophy on upgrades, I only want to do it once and that's it*. So my 1st upgrade was the biggest MAF and biggest turbo Huntly had to offer at the time. I did wimp out and use a manual controller first, but learned my lesson and did the EBC next. ALso got a 968 engine on the way. Gotta find a sleeper-looking 944NA roller with no engine to stuff it into. Then add turbos and off we go!!!

* yeah right, I'm on my 5th engine in 2 years...
Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You serious? NIIIIIICE! Just say the word, I'd love to lend a hand or just be there for that one!

Are you going to use 951 plumbing on that one?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
The problems you mentioned are fairly trivial. If he really had to replace any pistons, I would need to see the bills. Changing pistons means taking the engine out of the car - if one were to do that, why not a new clutch? However, if you don't uncover any big problems and car fax checks out O.K. and if it was a quality repaint, (even if it needs a clutch), I don't think 5K would be out of line considering the rarity of these machines (and the power!)
My rings were replaced when the head was done and the rod bearings were replaced.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack, another reason Callaway went with lower-comp. pistons is they had no way to control ignition. Adding boost requires a completely different ignition map. With the higher density mixture, it burns faster and there's no need to start igntion at the advanced values used in the NA chips. Lowering compression and reducing the burn rate is one way to retain the use of the stock ignition maps. That's sacrificing a lot of power. I'm running 9.6:1 NA pistons in my 951 and so is Daniel951. Only difference is to retard the ignition here and there on the maps. That higher compression is good for 360rwhp @ 16psi, or about +40-60hp over a similar engine at 8.0:1.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

What are the implications of cast (as is the cast with n/a internals) versus forged metallurgy? Obviously if you're mapped correctly you'll prevent pre-ignition and extremely hot temperatures, but I believe the microstructure of forged components is actually stronger and would be better able to handle the greater stresses as a result of boost, hence why it is used on most turbo / forced induction applications. I'm not saying you CAN'T run boost with cast components, but my understanding is it would be more of a time bomb than if you went with forged.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your understanding is pretty much correct.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:32 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
If the conversion was performed by Callaway, it's probably fine. Their pistons were forged and of very good quality. On my car the conversion is being done by me with Callaway components that have been on at least two other cars; the pistons are long since gone, so I'm simply transplanting in 951 slugs that are also 8.0:1.

I'm sure the original conversion was performed correctly, my concerns would be what he said was done to the car:
Owner said he replaced the valves pistons and head.
Replaced the pistons with what? 951 or 944, as we know the Callaway ones aren't readily available.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

A simple compression test should tell you with a reasonable degree of accuracy. This assumes of course that the rings are still in good condition (they should be, given how new they are and the fact they last damn near forever on these cars). Another thing you might want to know is whether Callaway sleeved the block or not. I believe they sleeved the bores with steel (don't know the composition, sorry) liners as standard practice. The only way to tell would be with a boroscope or to pull the head off. Actually, it might be worth it if you buy the car to yank the head anyway to check the pistons (you can tell 951 versus 944 by looking at the tops; you won't have to remove the engine). You could combine it with a h/g upgrade if you care. Kind of a shame to do on a car that has such a new head and gasket, but that's about the only way to be sure unless the owner has detailed work recepits from Callaway, preferably with engine #'s to match up AND can give you receipts with part #'s for the pistons. I'm kind of suprised he doesn't know what went into such a unique car. . . I'm very particular about things and kind of assumed that anyone else with a Callaway would be too, but I guess not. . .
Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went to go see the car today. I was displeased to say the least.
Let me start by saying WOW, that car can move!!! It was pretty amazing how quickly the boost came on and slung me down the road!

The facts:
1. It is an early 85 not late as he said over the phone. I am 6'2, so the steering wheel was shall we say...low.

2. The interior was....BAD. I mean...really BAD. The front seats must have been recovered in used material or something. Switches were hanging out, outer door handles don't work. Carpet was terrible and moldy! Dash cover was just laid on the dash and like to bounce aroung while driving. Gauges did seem to be working.It would have to be gutted and completly replaced.

3. Car was orginally red, but I noticed something really odd. The back hatch area under the carpet was black? I think the car may have been sectioned before. All of the outer seals are bad. There are at least 8 rust spots under the paint in various places. Small dings here and there. I counted at least 4 layers of paint. Apparently, the car is NOT garage kept as stated as the paint has/had mold on it!!!! Lovely, the guy didn't even take the time to wash it!!

4. THe floorpan seams are split and rusting. Lots of dents from lifts all over underneath.

5. The rear hatch glass is well....hmmmm.....not even touching the seal!

6. The rear wing is toast.

7. Brakes are bad all around....still working OK, but are in need of help. Apparently from what the owner said, Callaway swapped the front rotors/ calipers from the 928 as part of their install package. The rears are stock, but seemed small. Did early 944's have smaller rear rotors than late cars?

8. Wheels...now they looked like brand new!! Odd considering the rest of the car. They were 16' silver honeycomb BBS's and were truly nice, may have to find a set for my car!!

9. Had a hood and vented nose panel from a 924 turbo, the hood pin had been snapped off at some point (Rewelded) so you can the impression the engine left on the hood! Front Valance was surprisingly in great shape.

10. The engine at first sight was a fright. Dirt, oil and gunk is everywhere!! Upon closer inspection, everything seems to in at least fair condition. Car did idle well, although began to overheat so I am assuming air in the system.. All the Callaway pieces are there and in pretty good shape. Front intercooler is great shape without bent fins or anything. Underneath....the car obviously has (and had for a long time) many oil leaks. All of the rubber seem to be decent shape but with all the oil on it ..who knows...

11. The tranny is leaking but shifts well.

12. Exhaust is in good shape for it's age however the muffler has a hole in it. It has twin outlets...YUCK.

I drove the car for about 15 minutes...tried not to take too many corners as the ball joint is worn pretty bad. However, going straight the turbo would come on at about 2800 rpm at around 7 1/2 PSI (according to the gauge) and the car would push you back and ...SCOOT!! It did plant a huge grin on my face!! I am not too familiar with the inner working of turbos, so I can't really give a detailed description of how it was working. At idle, the guage showed it running with a negative pressure? It read something like -3.0, as the car would speed up it would rise until you reached 2800 rpm's where the gauge would reach and stay at 7 1/2. I can say this...it sounded great and was fast!!!

He has already lowered his price to $4000, but I really don't think it is worth it. I would like to have that motor and put it in my '86!! WOW...boost is great!!!!

Needless to say...I am going to pass...

If your interested, here is the link to the online ad. It may be great for someone who has the time and resources to restore it to it's former glory.
Porsche ad

I don't have pictures as I didn't notice my camera batteries were dead when I got there! ARGH!!!

One final note....I can see a 951 in my future very soon! That turbo was AWESOME!!

~Clint
Old 01-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Well it sounds like a Callaway 944 parts car. So what is it worth?

Quick Reply: Callaway 944 values?