Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding a missing (rear) jack point - experiences/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Welding a missing (rear) jack point - experiences/suggestions?

Hello all,

My car is missing the driver's side rear jacking point. This is usually OK, except that I get nervous taking my car to a mechanic. They may not see that it is missing and try to lift the car from there.

I did a search, but could not find much information. One thread has some information on jacking plates, but only bent ones...

My mechanic gave me the jacking point from a similar car. I'm scheduled to have it welded at a body shop next week. Apparently they need to take the carpet out from the interior so that it doesn't catch fire. The whole thing will cost me more than a few hundred dollars, but it is totally worth it for the safety.

Did anybody here have replaced a jacking point? Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Cheers,
ST
Old 12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I thought the only jack points were in the middle of the car (under each door)
Old 12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The jack points on early 944's is just behind and below the door pillar on both sides, you can follow one of the rocker joints right down to it. It is just a few inches in/under on the car due to the curve of the door and the rocker. I am going to have to have some work done on my passenger side at some point as well and I would definitely pull the carpet and jute backing as the metal isn't really that thick. Good luck and please send updates ant pic's when you are done.

Michael

Quick Reply: Welding a missing (rear) jack point - experiences/suggestions?