Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest source for NEW waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't matter that I have an early engine does it? Anyway, turbo waterpump its probably going to be... ill update when i figure out exactly what im going to do this weekend.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I have a N/A water pump, that took the thick O-ring. It must be luck of the draw or something, perhaps it's based on manufacturing date?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Doesn't matter that I have an early engine does it? Anyway, turbo waterpump its probably going to be... ill update when i figure out exactly what im going to do this weekend.
Switching from early style to late style waterpump requires a update kit. Make sure you get that from your vendor if your car hasn't already been converted.

Last time I bought a pump, I got a brand new LASO from Vertex for around $189. After reading about too many failed rebuilt pumps, I don't trust rebuilt pumps except those sold by the dealer.

I recently bought a complete timing/balance belt job kit sans the pump from Zims, and agree that they have top notch service.

Another vendor you could try which has been very good to me is Eurowebproducts.com. They advertised in Panorama a few years ago and are very competitive pricewise.

Stay warm!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my .002 worth, from my WP experience with my '83 not to long ago. If your oil cooler seals/gaskets have been in there a long time, I suggest changing them also, same time. Within a couple hundred miles of updating to 951 updated pump from old style na, O-rings blew out, milkshake in the crankcase. Coincedence? I don't think so. New pump vs rebuilt......your choice. My experience.......purchased rebuilt from one of our sponsors, installed, ran about 100 miles, belt whine was unacceptable. I looked again, pump had wrong pulley on it ( see pics #2 pump, and the belt ), vendor gracefully gave me immediate exchange for a brand new pump ( #3 pump ) and both are the 951 updated (supposedly). Take real close look at belt alignment after install. I recommend you use sealant on the pump gasket, and my 951 updated, brand new pump used the thin (around the thermostat) type gasket, not the thick O-ring. I did not buy/use the bolt kit, however, you might want them anyway. You know about timing cover rework/TSB. If your front seals weren't leaking before......they will after this, recommend replacement. $25.00 for oil cooler seals, $40.00 for front seals (without seal sleeves) from Zims. Yes, you will need the belt gaurd kit, if you go this route. HTH

Pump #1: old style, I originally removed from car.
Pump #2: "New" rebuilt updated pump after about 100 miles on it.
Pump #3: Brand new updated pump, is whats in car now.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Yeah i'm planning on doing front seals, rear seals, headgasket, oil cooler seals, rod bearings, clutch, pump rollers belts the works......

Sounds fun eh?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

For anyone searching, figured I'd post this... I think I'm going with vertex because they have the gaskets and such for it also, but this place has OEM waterpump NEW for 165 bucks... http://www.ebsracing.com/water.html

Quick Reply: Cheapest source for NEW waterpump?