Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which rotor is best for performance brakes?
Slotted
22.58%
Drilled
19.35%
Slotted & Drilled
6.45%
OEM
51.61%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Rotors...vote now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:09 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your money to spend on track or autox time and just put the stock ones on. Then when you get to the point the brakes are not keeping up then spend the money. Just going to different pads will make a big difference in performance. But what is desirable on the street is not always the best choice for the track and vic a versa. Typical good track pads are very noisey on the street.

Paragon
Sun
Performance
Old 12-24-2004, 04:08 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was only talking about book theory. Also I was applying it to brakes, not tires. I never said anything about tires, because I'm not sure how they work. I do know that wider is good with tires, and I would guess it's because of pressure concepts, since pressure IS dependant on surface area. Slicks are best on a track, but get you into accidents in the rain... again I don't know what I'm talking about with tires.

When I said friction depends only on the properties of the two surfaces and the force between them, I was referring to just friction itself (yes, this is a physics 101 concept - I can't apply more advanced methods because my field is quantum phys, not newtonian mechanics, and Bremsstrahlung doesn't really apply here ). Again, in reality there are MANY other factors to consider, like deformations, transfers of energy of different forms (heat, sound, etc.), subsequences (like outgassing) of actions, blah blah blah. Physics is a good way to apply basic ideas to reality to help in understanding it, but when you want to get down and dirty with the nitty gritty details and analyze every last factor, then you will get great results if you do it right, but it will take too much effort (it's the math).

Let's approximate the 944 to be a simple pendulum with a weightless string, acting without resistance forces; now we're talking.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:48 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I voted "slotted" as that gives good surface area and gas venting without odd wear patterns and cracking of holed.

But...

I recently put holed on my car to give better cooling in track use. "Cool" was secondary. In a typical twist, I've now acquired some Turbo struts and duct plates. May have gone OEM if I'd known.

One question:

Where can you get the slotted rotors?

Quick Reply: Rotors...vote now!!!