Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Seals Again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 01:35 AM
TestDriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Seals Again!

Hello,

Well, this subject certainly seems to get plenty of attention. Milkshake syndrome on my car has got me looking for a root cause now.

First off, I've done a search and read most of the more recent stuff regarting seal replacement on the oil cooler but I've got some questions. I'll start by describing what I had previously done.

This past spring (about 24k miles ago), I had to replace the head gasket on my 88NA. While there, I replaced the usual stuff like front seals, belts, rollers, water pump etc. I also replaced the oil cooler seals that are now seemingly leaking. Of note is, I did not do the proper research beforehand and did not check the clearance of the cooler cartridge or set the alignment of the oil pressure releif valve. Also, the cartridge was difficult to remove from the housing due to scale buildup. I had to really work at it wobbling around in order to get it out.

My questions are; Could this have led the seals going bad so soon? What would happen as far as OPRV misalignment? Is the alignment tool basically a pin of the same diameter as the OPRV body?

Any insight is very much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:03 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Hopefully you never flushed the system out good. Several attempts are needed to rid the cooling system of oil residue. Let's hope this is the case so try this first.

OPRV will not cause a leak but will affect the pressure.

My thought is the clear plastic shims (2) one of which is needed and in rare cases both. The shim aligns the element to the block and housing. 2 o rings on the element must seat squarely and the shim is what determines the clearance needed to seat in the correct position.

My other suggestion is re torque housing bolts. One is hard to get to and often is left too loose. Doubtful but possible.

The oil sender located on the housing is a big leaker. Make certain that this is not the culprit.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 AM
TestDriver
Advanced

Dal,

Thanks for the reply.

I had not thought about the flusing thing but unfortunately, I'm prety sure this is a new problem since I'm also seeing condensation in the oil filler cap. Plus, I had not seen oil in the coolant since I repaired it last.

I'll check torque on the housing bolts before I tear into it. What do you mean by sender? Is there a way for the pressure sender to mix oil and coolant if something is wrong?

By the way, your avatar seems very familiar. Is is a pit babe pic from itv-f1.com?

Ramon
Old 12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Ramon....The condensation on the cap is due to not driving the car long enought to burn off the condensation. Usually in cold climates. Our cars need to get up to temperature and long enough to burn moisture off.

Lots of nooks and crannies for the residue to hide and later show up in tank.

The sender will leak oil. I mention this as a possibility for an oil leak not coolant. Big leaker so I thought to raise the question/issue.

If you are NOT seeing oil in coolant since the repair why do say it is leaking??? confused..! Where is the leak?

If no coolant/oil is in the tank the cooler is fine.

My best suggestion based on what I am reading here is to FLUSH and again and again......so on!

Get me correct on your situation. Milkshake or not? Leak? Where?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:50 AM
TestDriver
Advanced

Dal,

I meant leaking oil into the cooling system.

You could be right-on about the condensation. The last time I drove it was in town with only a few minutes of running time. And, the part of Texas I live in is quite cold about now. The oil looks perfect. The coolant tank has a bit of oil (brownish chololate milk like) floating on the top. It's not really much just enough to be noticed but I did get a frothy head off the cap when I first removed it and noticed the oil.

I will flush the system out today and see if the oily stuff keeps returning. Someone suggested in one of the threads I read to use orange cleaner. I think I'll try that.

Thanks for your insight.

Ramon
Old 12-19-2004, 09:56 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Dash Detergent works well also.

Ramon I feel you are good to go as I truly believe the problem is the lack of thorough flushing and condensation not burning off.

Run the car for 20 minutes at full temp( after the cleaning/flushing) then look again the next morning for any foam.

Welcome, my pleasure.....

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Seals Again!