Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knockoff Fuchs vs. 16" Phone Dials???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, the procedure would be to strip the paint off the centers first if you want the whole thing polished. Use paint-stripper goo and slather some on, when the paint bubbles, up, scrape off with plastic putty-knife or some Scotchbrite. I wanted to keep the white centers, so I masked it off with tape and newspaper.

Next is to remove the anodizing. Spray on liberal amounts of oven-cleaner (sodium-hydroxide). Since anodizing is an oxiding process, a basic solution will reverse it. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and wipe off with rag. DO NOT LET the oven-cleaner dry out. Repeat as necessary to remove all of teh anodizing.

Depending upon the finish, you'll need to polish it up a bit. Use a find polishing (not rubbing) compound like Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. This will leave a dull sheen when you've reached the equilibrium point for the grit. It has a greasy base, so you'll want to spray some cleaner like 409 on there to remove all traces of teh polishing compound.

Finally, you have a chemical polish. Use any of the ammonia-based polishes. Avoid anythign with abrasives like Simichrome. Something like Mother's Billet Metal Polish should work. This final polishing step will give it the chrome-like shine you see above.

As long as you don't do any major off-road rallies, the bare metal finish should last just fine. Some dulling will occur from atmospheric exposure, but just touch it up with the chemical polish about once a month to keep the chrome-like shine going.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:16 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great Dan, i just bought some turtle wax and was going to use it on the car, now i know i need more

What about those scratches??? any special tools to remove them? ( i saw my tire guy here removing them with sandpaper i believe).
Old 12-20-2004, 03:11 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, just the sort of process I was lookin' for... can't wait to fix mine up!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to do mine tonite

Quick Reply: Knockoff Fuchs vs. 16" Phone Dials???