Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Clutch = No Clutch Pedal Effort?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 05:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New Clutch = No Clutch Pedal Effort?

Just took the baby for a test drive after putting in a Cup Clutch, new motor mounts, sway bushings and misc other items.

I went from the original stock clutch that came with the 951 S, the one with 4 outer springs and those damn 6 little inner ones that like to jump out, to the Cup disc with just the four main springs. Well, actually 8 as there are springs within the 4 main ones. If you have followed my story I had a disaster on the original clutch which lost 2 inner springs, wore out the friction material so the rivets wore deep valleys in the fly and PP, throw out bearing was so shot that you could hear it squeek on a bench when you spun the PP, basically total failure in an original clutch with 44,000 miles on it.

Now with the new Cup Clutch, clutch pedal effort is about ZERO compared to what the old one had felt like. But the new clutch grabs and holds a hell of a lot harder than the old one so it is not like the new PP is weak/defective. I've thought about new bearings, grease, etc. What is the deal here, why is pedal effort so much less?

Oh, all those old noises I thought were related to vacuum leak, turbo blow off, who knows what, went away. It was the throw out bearing!
Old 12-13-2004 | 05:12 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yup. when i had the turbo cup clutch put in, I was shocked at how easy it was to press the clutch pedal in.

I think the reduced pedal effort is a combo of freshly bled clutch cylinders and the new thickness of the clutch. It will get stiffer again with 20,000miles.
Old 12-13-2004 | 05:31 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, I did my clutch and a new slave cylinder, made the car feel much nicer to drive. I loved it!

Quick Reply: New Clutch = No Clutch Pedal Effort?