Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:53 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dash, for a second there I thought you were going to say "and wait until Jupiter is in line with the moon"

Sounds complex, I may give it a shot before my next alignment
Old 12-07-2004, 04:10 PM
beatdown944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my front end alignment when replacing the a arm bushings. I did this with a bubble level gauge used by many professions, the same one I used to make sure the tile I installed on the floor was level.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is the latest and I'm open to your thoughts/suggestions.

I did take the car to Sears for an alignment. Many of you will not be surprised to find that they felt I needed new tires, and actually didn't think the alignment would hold if I didn't get them. They also informed me that if they weren't able to get the alignment right, they wouldn't charge me.

Ok.

I bought two new tires for the front.

They couldn't get the wheels to align, and claim that my inner tie rods are bad, and that the right side strut is also bad and leaking (which they did point out and I did see fluid leaking from it). So, of course they wanted me to buy the parts and have them do the work. Please feel free to correct me on this, but my instant reaction was that I didn't want Sears Auto Center trying to repair my suspension.

Anyhow, they quoted me $876 and change to do 2 shocks, 2 tie rods, and 2 struts.

shocks 38 each (76 total)
tie rods (132 each plus 40 install each -- around 340 total)
struts (122 for left plus 50 to install and 113 for the right and 50 to install. -- 350)
alignment (90)

Please sound the alarm and tell me not to do this. Oh, btw, I have an appointment for an oil change at a shop in VA that works on Porsches for Wednesday morning. My plan was to let them do the oil change and have them take a look at my car and see what they recommend.

I knew going in that things could get expensive, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be judicious in my selection of who maintains the car (I want things done correctly, but I don't want to get ripped off either).

Thanks in advance.

Oh, one other thing. the new tires have eliminated almost all of the pull to the left. Let me offer my whole-hearted thanks for those of you who recommended picking up new tires. They are a world of difference.

I am getting a slight vibration at highway speeds now. What do you think? Is it the need for an alignment or the need up suspension repairs causing this, or both issues?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

"inner tie rods?" i thought there was only one tie rod per side. you can install new tie rod ends for about $40 to 50 each (i just installed some new tie rod ends). the shocks sound very inexpensive (must be monroe or something) and the labor sounds a little high. can you do it yourself?

i would probably let the other shop that knows porsches do the work if you can't or are unable to do it yourself.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes the inner tie rod is a ball and socket, whole assembly is 59 bucks from vertex.

Quick Reply: Front End Alignment