Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number of posts mean credibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Number of posts mean credibility?

I have added a disclaimer to my sig, I am lucky (and blessed) enough to be surrounded by amazing people who know much more than I do about these cars(and I mean WAAAY much more) . I will help when I can, contribute if I can, and sometimes post for the sake of attempting humor.

Do the number of posts by someone (member or not) really make a difference on how people think about the quality and credibility of the answer?

Just wondering.....
Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
jaycm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think quality, not quantity.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. There are plenty of people on here that don't post much that are VERY knowledgable and a few that post a lot that don't know very much. I think the latter is a bit more unusual than the former though. There are some people that tend to only post in OT that are completely technically inept (no names) but others that ONLY post in the tech forums that are very knowledgable. Unfortunately you don't know what forums a person has posted to, only the total number so the correlation is a bit misleading. In general though, MOST people that have high #'s tend to know something / have some experience.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten help from many people with under 50 posts.

I also feel that someone who has a lot of posts, genereally has been aroudn the forums for a while, and in order to have that many posts, you most likely read many threads, which is how we all get knowledge, by reading what others say and do pretty much, whether it is from rennlist, or a workshop manual.

Also, I never feel that you can trust info you get on rennlist 100 percent. If you have a manual, always check there, then get answers from the list. We are all human, and make mistakes, some know more than others. I guess I'm considered to have a lot of posts? I do know a decent amount I feel, but many with less and more posts, know way more than me. You really just have to go by what y ou have seen from them before on the list, and what people say about what they say, and the whole feel of what k ind of person they are to see if they are knowledgeable.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:46 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

My thoughts are this, almost no matter how many posts, there is still room for error. I get my tech advice from seeing something a minimum of three times. Once, the guy may be full of it, twice, his buddy may be confused. Three different times, three different people, and it is pretty trustworthy. Post count means nothing. You got 10k posts, you aren't working on the car enough....
Old 12-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha. Hey Danno, you hear that?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't know anything. Please don't listen to me.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 AM
speedracing944
Advanced

nice NSX!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Post count means nothing. You got 10k posts, you aren't working on the car enough.... "
"Haha. Hey Danno, you hear that? "

Yeah, but you can find three instances of me posting the exact same thing over and over again. Actually, I've got my laptop in the garage, so I'm working on the car AND posting at the same time (I get over 100wpm out of my Dragon NaturallySpeaking ).
Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 AM
volv4life
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

pete... i just noticed the mirror effect on your avatar swapping between the rims... very cooool

thought at first it was a reflection
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Post mean nothing. I post too much and have very little knowledge.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycm
i think quality, not quantity.
Be careful there are wives that browse these forums as well!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:28 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Do the number of posts by someone (member or not) really make a difference on how people think about the quality and credibility of the answer?
not at all. many people on here have thousands of posts and wouldnt have a clue even if it hit them in the face. many people claim to know what they are doing.. and even sound to know they have an idea of what they are doing.. but they dont get it one bit.

infact there are very few people (ok small percentage) on here who i trust to have mechanical knowledge of cars in general, let alone about specific models. not that i dont like them but honetsly.. its like trying to meet a girl online.. sure she sounds hot.. she says shes hot.. but we all know in the back of our heads its some fat guy with a my little pony collection on his shelves getting his strange odd kicks online. we should read all technical posts with suspicion. and take them with caution, as a grain of salt...

anyone who trusts a message board for critical how to's is playing russian rulette.

honestly.. would you trust say.. an unnamed young post ***** (no offense to any one.. after all this post ***** is a nice kid and i do like him and enjoy his posts) to tell you how to rebuild your engine or your complete suspension? he is a somewhat knowledgeable guy.. does alot of his own work under his dads guidance and is learning.. but i feel doesnt have the knowledge or experience yet to trust alot of things he says. no offense towards this person.. like i said, im fond of the little **** head, and one day he will be a great source to trust... just not right now

another example.. one of the older guys (not old... just older than most of the 944 board members) have alot of posts, and wouldnt know their way around a car if they had a map. but we love him and his great cars and especially his humor and attitude. now if he tried to give advice and didnt let people know his wrenching prowess or lack of, people would listen and fail miserably because he is well known on here. good thing he lets us all know openly that he wouldnt know a socket from a ratchet.

infact i think there should be a disclaimer..

no offense intended towards anyone. i expect others will look at me and feel the same way as well, whether they know me or not.

here is a good one from one 912 fix it website..
I am an amateur mechanic who knows nothing about moving parts on an automobile, let alone which end of a socket wrench to hold. Anyone who follows my lead definitely needs professional help either to have their head examinded or at least they should take their car to a mechanic trained and certified for such demanding and technicaly challenging work. Just because it seems prohibitively expensive and you are tired of being ripped off by incompetants is not an excuse to do the work yourself. I brave life and limb every day by driving my car after attempting my own repairs. Asha sees me spend hours in the garage for the simplest adjustment on my 912. I'm surprised she has not had me committed. Instead, I suspect she is quietly increasing the accident insurance benefits and if not, she should be.

Even the photographs have been manipulated after exposure, thus their content and accuracy should be treated with extreme suspicion. It has been said that photographs lie and those on this site certainly should be considered to fall into that category irrespective of what the photographer intended.

here is my favorite one though that a friend of mine has on his 912 website...

Disclaimer
I, Mark Petry, the author(s) of this site and my assignees or heirs assume no liability for any damage arising from its use, including, but not limited to, any of the following: misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation, nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, wipeout, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, ICBMs, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).

No license, express or implied, is granted by proxy or otherwise, to any Intellectual property rights are granted herein. Mark Petry (Mark) disclaims all liability, including liability for infringement of any proprietary rights, relating to use of information in this specification. Mark does not warrant or represent that such use will not infringe such rights. In fact, that's a very strong possibility.

Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. Mark disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of Mark; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to Mark. In other words, get your own ****ing lawyer before you hurt yourself.

These materials are provided by Mark as a service to his friends and/or customers and may be used for informational purposes only. Single copies may be distributed at will since it is unlikely that Mark created this material in the first place as he has no creative skill.

TRADEMARK INFORMATION: Mark and the Mark logo are registered trademarks of Mark. Mark's trademarks may be used publicly with permission only from Mark. Fair use of Mark's trademarks in advertising and promotion of Mark products requires proper acknowledgment. If you use Mark's trademarks without Mark's express approval, he will get really pissed off. *All other brands and names are property of their respective owners.

OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS: Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without Mark's prior written permission, which is freely granted as long as you take Mark's name off in some lame attempt to either hide the materials origin or in the hilarious belief that the receiver of this material will think that you created it on your own, or somehow will think you more clever and intelligent that you really are. Except as expressly provided herein, Mark does not grant any express or implied right to you under any patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information. Other rights may be granted to you by Mark in writing or incorporated elsewhere in the Materials.

DISCLAIMER: THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL MARK OR HIS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF MARK HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Mark further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. Mark may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. Mark makes no commitment to update the Materials. In other words, if you **** it up, you're on your own.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS: The Materials are provided with "RESTRICTED RIGHTS." Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in FAR52.227-14 and DFAR252.227-7013 et seq. and applicable sections of Title 18, US Code, or its successor. Use of the Materials by the Government constitutes acknowledgment of Mark's proprietary rights in them and excludes him from ever having to pay income taxes ever again, along with assigning the rights of the Queen of Rhode Island to Mark to use as he sees fit. Copyright (c)1995-2000 Mark. All rights reserved.

disclaimer.. no names used, no specific people implied, likeness of anyone in the descriptions given are purely coincidental. if anyone is offended then they need to understand i was not trying to offend anyone because i genuinly like 99% of the people here, and the coincidental example given was because they are good examples.

im just a little dumb *** who thinks he knows a thing or two about cars, when really im lost. ok im not really lost..i know a few things, but do you really know that for sure? take everything i say with a grain of salt becausemost likely my suggestions will cause you to blow up valves and valve springs.. hey look, ive done it 3 times now... so why would you trust me? if you follow my advice god help you. please seak psyciatric help. please seak professional mechanical help before my suggestions cause your car to blow up.

disclaimer.. i cannot spell. im grumpy, i have no patience. im full of ****. do you really know who i am? im some 80 year old guy clar over in japan, and ive never seen a german car in real life, let alone a porsche. while i claim to have used tools and ficed cars before, how do you not know im full of crap?

just kidding.. yes im really 23 and i do live in ohio and i do have a porsche.. but either way how do you know im not lying?

do not remove under penalty of law. do not pass go, do not collect $200. no sex in the champaign room. ewww.. its warm. yadda yadda yadda.... i

summary.. if you care about your car, take it to a professional mechanic and dont listen to me. if you listen to me and your car breaks.. your on your own. im not responsible for you listening to any crummy advice i give.

Last edited by hoffman912; 12-06-2004 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Take me for example....I have over 5k posts and don't know jack.......
Old 12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
I don't know anything. Please don't listen to me.
and I was just about to do anything you said.

Quick Reply: Number of posts mean credibility?