Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned, balanced, and blue printed

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned, balanced, and blue printed

Hey, I had suspicion that my injectors were clogged, giving me problems at WOT before i put my car down for, what was it, 5-6 months now. I decided I'd have them serviced. (Cleaned, balanced, and blue printed.) I found RC engineering, and sent my injecotrs to them. Here is what they do:

Originally Posted by RC Engineering website
Standard Services

The purpose of cleaning and flow-testing is to 1) remove any contaminants inside or outside the injector that impede fuel flow or degrade fuel spray pattern 2) to accurately measure each injector's fuel flow ability and 3) acquire quantitative data on injector performance the vehicle owner can use in matching injectors or tuning the engine's fuel system.

Any set of fuel injectors will benefit from RC Engineering's clean and flow service, This is even true of new injectors because the individual-injector and system-total fuel flows must be known for performance tuning purposes. It is not uncommon for a set of original equipment (OE) injectors to have an unacceptably wide range of fuel flow and it's possible to even have new injectors that do not function properly. RC's standard testing process identifies those problematic injectors.

The test process is as follows: first, your injectors are installed on RC Engineering's custom- designed-and-built, computer-controlled injector flow-testing equipment. A unique, non-flammable, gasoline-like test fluid is pumped at a precisely-controlled pressure through the injectors while they are pulsed by injector-drivers built into the equipment. The volume of fuel passed through the injector is accurately measured for a set amount of time and from those figures, fuel flow is derived. During the flow- test, the injector spray patterns are visually inspected and analyzed by RC's technicians using both bright room and strobe lights.

After the initial flow-test, your injectors are transferred to an ultrasonic cleaning machine and connected to injector drivers. They are submerged in cleaning solution and pulsed while being subjected to ultrasonic waves. The combination of the solution and the ultrasound aggressively clean the internal and external parts of the injectors.

Finally, the now-clean injectors are reinstalled on the flow-tester and run again. At the conclusion of the test, a printed report is produced. This report lists: fuel flow rates (in pounds-per-hour and cubic centimeters per minute) before and after cleaning, and spray pattern assessments for each injector tested. Also included is the "system balance" number which is the flow difference, expressed in a percentage, between the injectors having the highest and lowest flow rates amongst the lot of injectors tested. The system's total fuel delivery in lbs/hr. and cc/min along with a computation of potential horsepower at three different brake specific fuel consumption rates concludes the report.

The charge for RC Engineering's standard clean-flow-balance service is $24.00 - $28.50 per injector, depending on the type of injector. If overnight shipping is used, the turnaround time is three days.
When I recieved the injectors back today, i was very impressed with what they did. Aside from whats listed, They also replace all O-rings, as well as the cap, and even the mesh filter inside. They are also very nice looking, clean and all.
When I call, the lady I spoke to, who was not a tech, was extremly knowledgabe about everything, and service was excellent.

Also, I'm not 100% what to make of some of these #'s, like whats the system balance. Also, were they clogged enough to effect WOT on the car right after i chipped and put in a wastegate on it (as well as 3 bar FPR)
~Eyal

Photos:
Attached Images    

Last edited by Eyal 951; 12-04-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:14 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesnt look like anything was major clogged but you did have some injector imbalance which will make some cyclinders run leaner then others. Look at the flow of injector 3 before cleaning its 366 cc/min and after its 379cc/min thats a big difference and depending on how much boost you are running it could of had a big affect when you where trying to push more fuel in. SO at WOT full boost you may of had some skipping or missing due to a lean out. The system balance numbers is kinda like how close the injectors are to each other or their balance, Im not sure if the unit is a % or in CC. But the closer to 0 you are the better it is and .5 is awsome.

im happy to see good feed back, I was thinking about sending mine out for the same service. Let me know how it goes
Old 12-04-2004, 02:04 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long did they have your injectors?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:05 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceWard
How long did they have your injectors?
I had a similar job done on mine, just takes a few hours. Obviously depends on backlog...
Old 12-04-2004, 04:34 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

They claim a turnaround time of 3 days if overnight is used, thats about what I experienced. I had them ship ground, but that was still next day delivery since I'm local. Their a half hour drive for me, but gas would have been same as shipping, so i figured I'd save my time.
~Eyal
Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

This is a VERY good thing to do on cars north of 80k miles. I had it done on my 944 (different outfit, Marren at injector.com) and was very pleased as well. Porsche uses pretty good injectors ($$$), so their worth the cost.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:37 AM
dave120
Drifting

At 164k miles I've been thinking I need to get this done...another one of those things I haven't gotten around to yet
Old 12-04-2004, 11:07 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn you, now i am going to have to do that to mine...thanks. lol
Old 12-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I need it. My gas mileage is worse than normal lately.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:32 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the biggest improvement in the spray pattern on 1 and 4. anytime your injectors are dripping instead of producing a nice, evenly distributed cone pattern, you can have problems. no matter how much you are actually flowing.

i kind of wish they would have a little more sophisticated answer to spray pattern than good/excellent/etc. it really should be cone angle, particle size, distribution, etc.

looks like it was a good idea you had them cleaned regardless, very nice flow distribution.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:12 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've heard good things about RC Engineering, alot of guys I know use them.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Yea, I thin they did a great job... I'll let you guys know if that was the problem, I'll have it running soon...
~Eyal
Old 12-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

Sorry to stray form the topic a bit, but would getting a set of injectors cleaned/tested cure injector tick? If so that may be a viable option over new injectors at ~$80 each. Did they refinish your injectors or just clean them really good? They look great.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:43 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You will always have some injector tick, its a by product of the injectors we use, Its doesnt mean that the injectors are going bad
Old 12-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

It is pretty loud in my case, I was curious if this would help any. I'm a big fan of quiet cars...

Quick Reply: Cleaned, balanced, and blue printed